Finally sprouts in some of the milk jugs

ryseryse_2004April 14, 2013

Here in NW IL we are having a very late spring. This is a very good thing since last year everything happened way too quickly and then the frosts came and destroyed many things (apple crops, etc.). I was wondering when I would start seeing some of my jugs with sprouts.

Today I see some just starting to poke their heads through and it is so exciting. Tulips and Daffodils are starting to come up out of the ground and I see peonies breaking ground here and there. Spring is coming!!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tempusflits

I'm in WC IL. Things started popping here this past week, so I'd say you're due! I envy you your daffodils. Mine are fading already. Wish those things could hang about all summer. I love their yellow color.

Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 6:45AM
Edie(5 NY (Finger Lakes))

I just saw my first sprouts today - the bachelor buttons. Love those early sprouters. :-)
Enjoying my crocus, squill and snowdrops. My daffodils haven't started yet either. I've decided I need to add some yellow crocus this fall. Such a happy color, and I'd like to see it sooner. My crocus are all white.

Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 5:30PM
docmom_gw Zone 5 MI(5)

It's snowing here again. We're also having the worst flooding since the 1940s. Thankfully I live on a hill, so the water is not an issue for my house. But, the cold is putting a serious cramp in my wintersowing. I don't have a single sprout in any of my perennials, and I haven't even sown any annuals because it's too cold and I don't want the seeds to rot. Tomorrow I plan to put out my annual jugs. Otherwise I won't have them sown in time to have them included in the container count. Wish me luck!

Martha

Bookmark   April 19, 2013 at 11:29PM
tempusflits

Martha, I feel your pain. We had heavy rain Wed/Thurs and now temps are to dip down below freezing tonight. I'm sorry about your snow.

Spring will come. Spring will come. Spring will come! In the meantime, I have lots of sprouts, I'm just not sure if that's a good thing right now.

Bookmark   April 20, 2013 at 2:03AM
tepelus(6a SW MI)

Same boat here, Martha. No sprouts, it has just been too cold, and any warm days we have had were short-lived. Too much rain, now cold and snow again. Maybe by June we'll finally get warm. Maybe then my seeds will sprout. I only have one type of annual seed I want to start and I've been putting off sowing them because of the weather. Maybe I'll go ahead and sow them and see how they do.

Karen

Bookmark   April 20, 2013 at 8:20AM
docmom_gw Zone 5 MI(5)

Karen, I finally sowed some zinnias because I just couldn't wait any more. I have lots of seeds that I collected off my own plants last fall. So, if I lose any of these, I have plenty of seeds I can still sow. Hang in there northerners. Our day will come.

Martha

Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 11:56PM
tepelus(6a SW MI)

Finally saw sprouts yesterday in two of my jugs, Dianthus 'Vampire' and Gillenia trifoliata, a native wildflower I sowed in the fall since it needed a warm, cold, warm cycle to germinate. So happy to see these little guys. Now the rest need to start showing me something.

Karen

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 7:59AM
More Discussions
Official Winter Sowing Count Zone Wars 2014-2015 #2:
Game of Zone 2014-2015 Link:This is the continuation...
ladyrose65
has anyone ws aubrieta?
Is it too late to ws aubrieta. I am in zone 5- Iowa....
maryjozone5
Request: Please Share Your Sprout Pics!
My jugs are still buried under snow and I would love...
Mizzteek Z6 MA
anybody have sprouts in jersey yet?
is anyone seeing sprouts in zones 5 &6? I put...
gardendaydreamer
Extreme cold predicted and my seeds have sprouted
I have WS cabbage sprouting here in Zone 7, but Sunday...
coffeehaus
Sponsored Products
Gilbert 29.5 in. Bar Stool - Antique White with Rush Seat - 52663-RTA-MW
$129.99 | Hayneedle
Crystal Luxury 4 Lights Stainless Acrylic Flush Mount
ParrotUncle
Upholstered Charcaol Astrid Queen Bed
Zuri Furniture
Darya Rugs Persian, Pink, 2'7" x 12'8" Runner Rug M1000-16709
Darya Rugs
Mini Ellipse Chrome One-Light Bath Fixture with Royal Cut Bordeaux Red Crystal a
$150.00 | Bellacor
Curly Script Personalized Ruler
$9.99 | zulily
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™