stunted WS tomatoes?

katy_bug(z8a GA)April 22, 2013

I WS'ed some tomatoes and they sprouted well over a month ago and just aren't putting out any secondary leaves. The tops are off because our temps are routinely in the 80s during the day and been in the 40 - 50s at night. Is this normal? I don't have much experience with WSing 'maters.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
docmom_gw Zone 5 MI(5)

Even though the tops aren't growing, the root system is developing. Once the night-time temps stay in the 60s or higher, the tops will explode. Also, are your sprouts in containers deep enough to allow the roots to spread? Give it time. Once those babies are planted out in the sun, they'll take right off.

Martha

Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 8:49AM
growsy(8b GA)

mine didn't like sticking around in the seed starting mix I sowed them in. I had a big batch of Yellow Pear (I sowed a lot because I had old seed that I didn't think would sprout well - ha!) They had to hang out in there a while because I wasn't ready to deal with them & had other things to do. Finally I put them in some old flats & it took a little while but they've perked up a lot. I used a mix of cheap stuff - garden soil (my dh got by accident) & potting mix & seed starting mix because the other two were pretty heavy. We've had a lot of rain, so I've had to be careful to empty the trays that don't drain, but once in a while when they were dry I gave them a little bit of plant food (Schultz) in their water. Those were the tomatoes that were the most stressed before re-potting, & the others that weren't as stressed are about as big on top now as their solo cups below! So, if I were you, I'd move them along - either to their permanent spot or to solo cups - or whatever you have handy.

Hope it works out for you! Good luck!

Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 5:55PM
ladyrose65

They will start off slow, but once they get going, you are going to say "When can I stop pruning"? You might want to find out if you have a determinant or indeterminant variety? Some are slow growers.

Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 10:49PM
katy_bug(z8a GA)

I went ahead and potted them up. Roots look good but I am beginning to think that this is related to the fungus gnat infestation that I just realized that I had. Ugh.

Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 11:07PM
caryltoo Z7/SE PA

I keep seeing references to fungus gnats, but I'm not sure what they are. Can you see them hovering around the plants?

Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 6:58AM
More Discussions
Unknown seedling in with foxgloves
I planted foxgloves (digitalis), which are the small...
sandyslopes z5 n. UT
Anyone has started winter sowing in Toronto?
This is my second year doing winter sowing. I started...
chipeony
agastache golden jubilee
Has anyone else winter sown agastache golden jubilee?...
southerngardening24
Green mildew on soil of WS containers?
Last year, I WSd in styrofoam cups that were placed...
gardengrlz
Do you remember the 'red border' someone posted a few years ago?
I loved it and would love to try some amaranths. I...
thisbetty
Sponsored Products
Personalized Wedding Reception Seating Chart Sign - WS50
$46.00 | Hayneedle
Brushed Nickel WhitehauWhitehaus 514.121WS Deck Mount Knob Bathroom Faucet
$259.00 | Blue Bath
BEAutility Semi Flush Mount
Lightology
Glamos Wire Garden Stake - 10 Pack - 87001
$38.81 | Hayneedle
7873 Carrera Chrome Two-Light Bath Fixture
$211.50 | Bellacor