Spring Sowing

mary_maxApril 22, 2012

Today I spring sowed a few jugs. We are 84 out and partly cloudy. So my question is do I have to tape the jugs or just close tops. They are in dappled shade now.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bakemom_gw(z6 Central Ohio)

whatever it takes to keep the tops on to retain some moisture. At 84, my biggest worry is them drying out.

Bookmark   April 22, 2012 at 9:48PM
tiffy_z5_6_can(5/6)

Mary,

One of the things to remember is that you can 'fry' your seeds in hot weather so be careful of that. If you can prvide them with some aeration by making openings for the air to flow it will help. Another thing is to keep them in bright shade.

If the sun hits them directly even for a few brief minutes in dappled shade, the temperature will rise quickly. A few years ago I stuck a thermometer in a 2 liter pop bottle which had sprouts. The outside ambient temperature was 15C (60F), but inside the bottle the temperature had risen to 28C (88F). Just think - you are dealing with a little greenhouse here and you might have to open a window or two. :O)

Hope this helps.

Bookmark   April 24, 2012 at 10:24PM
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

What could I add to advice from two experienced pros when my background doesn't include many 84F days :) Tiffy, welcome home! Too long since I've seen your name.

Bookmark   April 24, 2012 at 11:41PM
More Discussions
Winter Sowing Dahlia Seeds?
Does anyone WS Dahlia seeds? How do they work out for...
Matthew Condon - Indiana.Matt - IN, Zone 5/6
Containers for winter sowing.
I have some clear plastic shoe boxes but they have...
hibiscusfan zone5-Northwest Ohio
Official Winter Sowing Count Zone Wars 2014-2015 #2:
Game of Zone 2014-2015 Link:This is the continuation...
ladyrose65
Newbie question. Would this work?
I have a really large clear plastic bag that I could...
christacharlene
Something to pull in more newbies :-)
Front yard in June: Vera, I finally found a pic of...
pitimpinai
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™