Two trees in one

niclavgSeptember 7, 2013

About a year ago i removed a dead orange tree from my backyard and planted a new kumquat tree in the exact hole. Now, 6 months later, I have two tall branches with larger leaves and spikes coming directly off of the kumquat tree. Could this be an orange tree some how growing through the kumquat tree? Please advise. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
spiros

The rootstock is different and that has started growing. It could be anything, lemon, sour orange, trifoliate orange.. Someone else will make a better guess.

Bookmark   September 7, 2013 at 7:12PM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

It is likely that you will eventually loose the scion (kumquat) if you don't remove the rootstock sprout. The sprout will vigorously outgrow the kumquat and the graft will be likely be dropped. If it were me, I'd prune off the sprout ASAP.

Bookmark   September 7, 2013 at 9:51PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

we would need a pic of the trunk.. where the two different plants attach.. to explain any further as to how to proceed...

good job protecting your plant.. from the idiot with the weedwhip .. lol ... i spotted the utilities back there.. and said to myself.. that would quickly become a garden bed.. so i wouldnt need the weedwhip ...

ken

Bookmark   September 8, 2013 at 9:31AM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Lots of flowering cherries and old rhododendrons (these used to be grafted instead of grown from cuttings) around here where people have never cut off the rootstock sprouts. Grafted plants often have to be watched for this if you aren't going to end up with most of the top coming from the roots instead of the variety you wanted originally.

Bookmark   September 8, 2013 at 2:22PM
More Discussions
Girdled Tap Root?? What to do??
Sorry if this is wordy, the tree experts might be able...
pricklypearsatx
Who has snow?
Post your snowy garden pics. (Locally, almost none...
subtropix
need help pruning trees
I have a Kentucky Coffee Tree (gymnocladus dioicus)...
Dave Varel
where to prune these maples?
ugh what happened to GW?? anywho - need some advice...
skyjumper
Number 4 thread of Most successful try @ LIve oak in Pa
Okay, this is the newest thread about the Live Oak...
poaky1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™