Need help identifying tree

dealSeptember 22, 2007

I've had all kinds of suggestions about what kind of tree this is, but I'm not sure any have been correct. The tree is growing in a shady spot in English Ivy behind my garage.

Thanks.

Here is a link that might be useful: more pics

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
treeguy123(AL 7b)

Should be a Black Walnut (Juglans nigra)

Bookmark   September 22, 2007 at 8:19PM
deal

Thanks treeguy. Juglans nigra was one of the things I had considered, except that branches don't seem to have a dark pith and I've never seen fruit on the tree. Do all Black Walnuts fruit?

Bookmark   September 22, 2007 at 8:58PM
treeguy123(AL 7b)

You might not see a pith perhaps because the branch is young new growth. Yes all Black Walnuts fruit once they reach the right age. Open-grown trees in full sun such as out in a feild may produce a few walnut when only 4 to 6 years old, more commonly 8 or older.
Most Black Walnuts if grown in part to full sun can make a few as young as 12 years old but Black Walnuts produce the largest crop of walnuts when they reach 20 to 30 years old or older.

There is a chance it could be a Butternut (Juglans cinerea) but this tree is more rare in GA. If you live in extreme northern GA there's a possibility it could be this. If you don't live in extreme northern GA then it should defiantly be a Black Walnut.

Bookmark   September 22, 2007 at 10:28PM
alabamatreehugger(8)

Looks like a pecan leaf to me (carya illinoinenis).

Bookmark   September 23, 2007 at 12:46AM
treeguy123(AL 7b)

I was thinking of a pecan also but I put it out earlier because that bark does not look like a pecan (more like a Walnut). But after looking at the twigs they look a little thin to be a Black Walnut so there's a high chance of it being a Pecan (Carya illinoinensis) also the leaves look more similar to Pecan than Walnut.

Bookmark   September 23, 2007 at 11:13AM
pineresin

Looks more like Pecan to me too. To confirm, take a twig, and slice it lengthways up the middle. Chambered pith = Juglans, solid pith = Carya.

Resin

Bookmark   September 23, 2007 at 11:42AM
quirkyquercus

I don't know what it is (quirky not toogood with those 7+ leaflet trees) but I can say with certainty it's not a b.w.

Bookmark   September 23, 2007 at 12:34PM
alabamatreehugger(8)

I have pecan trees everywhere here, and the bark varies from tree to tree. Some are very shaggy, and others much less so, especially if they're younger. You'll find pecan trees in the stangest of places because squirrels bury the nuts wherever they can find (just like walnuts).

There's also the remote chance it could be pecan X bitternut hybrid, but I'm sticking with straight pecan.

Bookmark   September 23, 2007 at 1:48PM
deal

Thanks for all the feedback. I sliced another twig, and here's what it looks like.

The pith is actually a little smoother than it looks in the picture. The knife action disturbs it and gives it the more grainy look.

So, based on other pictures I've seen, I would say that this isn't a chambered pith?

Here is a link that might be useful: more pics

Bookmark   September 23, 2007 at 1:58PM
treeguy123(AL 7b)

I'll say it's defiantly be a Pecan (Carya illinoinensis) after looking over everything more carefully. Pecan trees are monoecious meaning they have male and female flowers on the same tree. Pecans ripen in September and October and are dispersed from September through December on Pecan trees. The minimum seed-bearing age is 2 to 4 years in some cultivars but more commonly the age for Pecan production starts when the
trees are about 20 years old.

Bookmark   September 23, 2007 at 2:09PM
cacau(z5/6 CO)

The chambering of the pith doesn't develop in Juglans spp. until the second year, so make sure you're not slicing this year's wood. I agree with those who say the leaf reminds more of pecan. Black walnut leaflet counts usually average over 15 with the terminal being less developed than shown here, or else absent.

Bookmark   September 23, 2007 at 2:20PM
treeguy123(AL 7b)

Yes, like cacau said new green or first year growth won't have the chambered pith in the Black Walnuts.
It still looks like Pecan to me.
Here is a comparison of Pecan and Back Walnut from our trees:

Bookmark   September 23, 2007 at 2:33PM
lucky_p

Pecan. As cacau noted, J.nigra won't have a terminal leaflet.

Bookmark   September 24, 2007 at 7:12AM
pineresin

"As cacau noted, J.nigra won't have a terminal leaflet"

It can do - it varies from absent, to present but small, to present and as large as the other leaflets. I've seen the full range of variation on one branch of a single tree, too.

Resin

Bookmark   September 24, 2007 at 10:50AM
More Discussions
Girdled Tap Root?? What to do??
Sorry if this is wordy, the tree experts might be able...
pricklypearsatx
Cherry Tree Looks Ready to Split
We have a cheery tree in our front yard with a split...
donfalco2
need help pruning trees
I have a Kentucky Coffee Tree (gymnocladus dioicus)...
Dave Varel
Alder tree has bark curling, cracking, and falling off
One of the Alder trees on our property in northern...
rocko_54
Help me identify stem/branch?
Hi, I just joined and am usually in the rose section,...
msdorkgirl
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™