Wood Ash

lunchlady8November 2, 2008

Would wood ash be good for rose beds?We have bought a fire pit,I would hate to waste the ash if it's good to use.

Thanks,Ann

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
len511(6)

it's potash or good for the K in the N-P-K however i would use sparingly as they are extremely alkaline.

Bookmark   November 2, 2008 at 9:25PM
wirosarian_z4b_WI

Wood ash is a source of potassium but it would also raise the pH (supposedly about 2/3 as much as limestone)so if you have alkaline soil, I wouldn't use it.

Bookmark   November 2, 2008 at 9:31PM
mashamcl

We used to use it in the garden all the time, but sparingly - basically sprinkle them over in a very fine layer.

Bookmark   November 2, 2008 at 10:04PM
michaelg(7a NC Mts)

Good for sandy acid soils that don't retain potassium, calcium, and Mg. Could be useful on Piedmont acid clays, but probably not in most of Texas.

Bookmark   November 3, 2008 at 10:56AM
lunchlady8

Thanks for all the infro.I think I won't use it.

Ann

Bookmark   November 3, 2008 at 5:25PM
buford(7 NE GA)

If you have a compost pile, you can put it in that.

Bookmark   November 4, 2008 at 9:14AM
lunchlady8

Thanks buford,I do have a compost pile.

Bookmark   November 4, 2008 at 9:55PM
rozegardener

here's what it says on the common ground palo alto organic soil amendments page:

"Ashes from wood are high in potash and help repel root maggots. Ashes also have an alkaline effect on the soil, so use them with care if your soil pH is above 6.5. Black wood ash is best. See p. 48 in How To Grow More Vegetables for more information on wood ashes.

Use up to 1.5 lb (13/4 qt) / 100 sq ft."

I would quote you from the book mentioned but I lent it to someone and I can't remember who. I do remember that it said that wood ashes in the vegetable garden bed improve the flavor of tomatoes, lettuce and many other vegetables, and that in most cases it is a good additive if you use animal manures because those are acidic.

Black wood ash is best because that is the result of a slow smoldering fire, while gray powdery wood ash is from a raging fire and loses most of the potassium. Wood ash is between 1% and 10% potassium, but it lasts for only 6 months in the soil.

I know that many excellent gardeners use wood ashes liberally, and not scientifically, but our soil is a little on the acid side here. I used to use ashes I used plenty and it never hurt my roses or vegetables. I don't have any ashes now, but in late summer I limed (also alkaline, even more so) my roses and they responded favorably and quickly. I limed the soil with about 1/2 cup of lime per HT bush, then top-dressed with horse manure and alfalfa.

They said thank-you. When I tested my soil last year it was about 6.5 (before any additives).

You could always test on something not too important, experiment a little and if it starts to suffer, add some cottonseed meal (acidic).

Hope this helps. -Gala

Bookmark   November 6, 2008 at 1:18PM
Maryl zone 7a

If you are in the northern tier of Texas (Dallas/Ft Worth area) you probably have heavy clay soil with a neutral PH or slightly alkaline. Soils in that area usually have an over abundence of "K" (Potassium)as well as Phospherous, so adding more, regardless of the source, would be like giving a drowning man a drink of water. A soil test is really what's needed to find out for sure.

Bookmark   November 6, 2008 at 10:35PM
More Discussions
Earth kind roses trials in northern gardens.
This should help us northern rose gardeners. Iowa State...
Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
I will be converting my rose garden this spring
After two brutal winters where temperatures have reached...
dmoore66
Roses and their offspring
I would like to learn more about roses that have reputations...
sara_ann-z6bok
Please Get To The Huntington Quickly!!
Please try to get to the Huntington in the next few...
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
vigorosa roses
As I continue my research on roses that will work in...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™