Dogwood, Redbud, Whitebud or Sweetberry?

lynnemarieSeptember 13, 2010

Seeking low maintenance ornamental tree for center front of house which is mostly shade, dappled sun. Will be the center of the small landscape plan so needs to have some personality.

Nursery recommended white dogwood, Oklahoma Redbud, Forest Pansy Redbud, regular Eastern Redbud, Texas Whitebud or sweetberry.

House is red so leaning towards white blooms vs. pink. Leaning towards sweetberry (grandiflora) but not looking for fruit to eat or birds to leave a mess so now not sure.

Suggestions to novices??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
toronado3800 Zone 6 StLouis(6)

Redbuds in my yard are quicker growing than dogwoods. The dogwoods seem longer lived.

My dogwoods have berries on them right now. Cant say i have noticed a rash of colored bird droppings. Redbid fruit is hanging seed pods. It is less formal looking.

Oh, dont all the redbuds flower purple?

those are the two i am experienced with.

Bookmark   September 13, 2010 at 11:21PM
suel41452

I agree with you, if your house is red, a white bloomer would contrast nicely. I had an eastern redbud that recently bit the dust, I would not get another, if for no other reason the fall color (important to me!) is so lackluster & they are disease-prone & short-lived.
My kousa dogwood blooms for weeks and there are beautiful named cultivars like 'Venus' (kousa hybrid) and 'Milky Way'. Don't get a generic grown-from-seed kousa -like I did- because it will take years to bloom!! A 'Pagoda' dogwood is resistant to anthracnose which killed a lot of dogwoods in Va. I have a 'Cherokee Princess' dogwood which is supposed to be more disease-resistant. There are a lot of other cultivars of dogwoods that are more disease-resistant available these days. There's a double-flowering dogwood that I have been drooling over, the flowers are GORGEOUS but they are very hard to find. I think Merrifield Garden Centers sell them if you're close to one. Hey - you're a Virginian - you gotta have a dogwood, lol! I'm not familiar with the other trees you mention.
I'm a huge japanese maple fan, that would be a great spot for one - their fall color is unsurpassed, IMO!

Bookmark   September 14, 2010 at 10:58AM
lynnemarie

Thanks Tornado and Sue! Sue, you've talked me into the dogwood. We had a Kousa that never looked great and I bet it was the generic grown from seed kind. Will see if the nursery (Fort Valley in Woodstock) has Pagoda or Cherokee Princess.

Thx again!

Bookmark   September 16, 2010 at 7:08AM
gardener365(5b Illinois USA)

Another suggestion:
Hydrangea Pee Gee Hydrangea paniculata - it's also sterile.

Dax

Bookmark   September 16, 2010 at 8:49AM
gardener365(5b Illinois USA)

Excuse me, cultivar 'Grandiflora' is sterile and has white flowers...

Dax

Bookmark   September 16, 2010 at 8:53AM
lynnemarie

Dax -

A neighbor had recommended a Limelight hydrangea tree. That is PeeGee I think? Now I will consider that vs. dogwood.

Thx.

Bookmark   September 16, 2010 at 9:01AM
More Discussions
How far should Sassafras and Blue Spruce be from the road?
I have a tentative plan I started on in Spring for...
edlincoln
Trunk Rot. Should I shovel prune or can this little JM recover?
shovel prune or is this something it can recover from?...
kjmm1
Japanese snowbell - anyone with experience growing in zone 5?
I'm looking for a tree for our front yard. Japanese...
mattow42
Nutmeg Hickory
Anyone here growing this species? I received one that's...
alabamatreehugger
Growing Hickory and Hican for Nut Production (3)
Continuing from part 1 and 2 (maximum posts reached) Good...
gardener365
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™