Identify?

iris_2007December 4, 2012

Hi,
A friend happened to post a picture of a rose,he's in England, as is the rose. I'm thinking it's a STERLING SIVER, but not sure. He said it's greatly scented,but he doesn't know the name. Question: if it is a SS can I grow it in zone 5a someway,,even though it's supposed to be a zone 7 rose?? I already grow THE IMPRESSIONIST,,REINE DE VIOLETTE. Also MIDNITE BLUE, which is grown in a pot and lives in the garage for the winter..
Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jacqueline9CA

The color does look like Sterling Silver, but I have never seen a SS plant that looks that healthy! Here in CA it is famous for being difficult to impossible to grow - gets all sort of diseases, including canker and mildew, and hates to grow.

Hopefully someone from your type of climate will post re how it grows in colder areas.

Jackie

Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 1:04PM
jerijen(Zone 10)

There are quite a few HTs in that color class. This rose looks to me to be a bit dark for SS -- and the blooms look to be too big. Maybe they're more like 'Blue Girl' (Kolner Karnivale)????

Jeri

Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 1:23PM
iris_2007

Thank You. This is a closeup of the same rose. I'd love to plant it in front of my THE IMPRESSIONIST. It's just amazing looking I think! My fav. color, the SIZE, and greatly scented. What more could a person want?? lol

Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 3:33PM
iris_2007

Well, the person from England just posted another picture of the Rose on my FB page. His neighbor grows it and he said it's a SS. Wha What?? What do they do in England to produce this magic?! LOVE THIS!

Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 3:55PM
seil zone 6b MI

They have a vastly different climate. In your climate SS will probably never achieve such height and vigor. You'd be better off looking for something that is more winter hardy in a similar color.

Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 6:43PM
More Discussions
osmocote potting soil
I saw piles of this potting soil at my local National...
view1ny NY 6-7
First bloom on a new bush - I like it !!
Crescendo - A new one for me. Hope it always looks...
suebelle_neworleans
Aunt Margy's Rose
This picture was supposed to join the others on my...
ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
Northern Rose Gardening
Just in case you think we can have beautiful roses...
Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
High Country Roses review: pics of what my order looked like
HCR was so good with my order, I feel the need to 'pay...
laura242424
Sponsored Products
Old Modern Handicraft Rivarama E.E.
Beyond Stores
"Flower Center" Giclee - BLACK/WHITE
$630.00 | Horchow
Animals All Around´┐Ż Rectangular: 5 Ft. 4 In. x 7 Ft. 8 In. Kid Essentials - Infa
$255.95 | Bellacor
Artifort | Mare Romance Chair
YLiving.com
Oakview Estate Address Plaque
$235.00 | FRONTGATE
Gift Boxed Fleur De Lis Solid White Place Cards
Classic Hostess
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™