London Planes turning brown, American Sycamores not

hairmetal4ever(Z7 MD)September 1, 2013

There are a lot of Platanus x acerifolia (London Plane) & also a fair number of what I believe are P. occidentalis as well.

The springtime anthracnose causes the P. occidentalis to not come fully into leaf until sometime around mid to late June. Usually the P. x acerifolias are affected to a much lesser degree & leaf out by early May.

However, after that point, the London Planes have much less attractive foliage than the American Sycamores do - the LPs have a rusty, brownish-green foliage, while most of the American Sycamores have a nice medium green, much healthier looking leaf.

As of right now (& most past summers come to think of it), most of the London Planes are turning yellow-brown & have dropped a fair number of crispy brown leaves already. If years past prove true they'll slowly do this through October until bare.

Meanwhile, the trees I believe are American Sycamore (a few larger planted trees plus those growing wild) have generally nice looking, green, healthy foliage for the most part (with some mild anthracnose damage & mild pest damage, etc). They will probably hold their leaves until early Nov. then turn brownish & drop.

What is it that causes the London Plane, well regarded because of its resistance to anthracnose, to look so haggard by this time of year?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
beng(z6 western MD)

Seen it before sometimes -- it's some kind of late-summer leaf-blight that London planes get & pure Amer sycamores don't.

Bookmark   September 2, 2013 at 9:24AM
hairmetal4ever(Z7 MD)

Would be nice to find a Platanus that is resistant to both diseases.

Bookmark   September 2, 2013 at 12:02PM
Carrig(9)

I have 2 London Plane trees with similar disease. From a distance, tree looks like it's coated with a dull gray/white film - it looks dry. Up close, see photo. The bark also looks dry & dead, and there are small flying insects (new this year). The trees have steadily gotten worse over several years. Everyone I've spoken to locally thinks it's anthracnose, but it doesn't look like any of the photos online. Also new this year, plants below tree are also looking similar. I would love to know how to treat these poor trees!

Bookmark   October 17, 2013 at 7:41PM
hairmetal4ever(Z7 MD)

I think that's powdery mildew, and I think that's part of the problem here, too.

Bookmark   October 17, 2013 at 10:45PM
poaky1

I get the gist that it is nothing life or death? my London plane looks ok. I guess there is no need to spass out yet.

Bookmark   October 17, 2013 at 10:56PM
jujujojo_gw(6b 7a)

There has been hybrid London Planes that are far superior than the existing species, including American Sycamoures.

Bookmark   October 17, 2013 at 10:59PM
salicaceae(z8b FL)

Platanus mexicana is very resistant to foliar diseases. They look flawless all year here.

Bookmark   October 18, 2013 at 3:04PM
Carrig(9)

Thanks for the ideas. Powdery mildew photos online don't really look the same, but could just be difference in location, etc. Does anyone have comments on efficacy of standard treatments for powdery mildew?

Bookmark   October 18, 2013 at 4:57PM
hairmetal4ever(Z7 MD)

There's also the lace bug.

Bookmark   October 18, 2013 at 5:11PM
hairmetal4ever(Z7 MD)

Same thing happening this year. I'll post some pics soon.

I think the LP's suffer from a combo of sycamore lace bug and powdery mildew damage.

Bookmark   August 23, 2014 at 11:14PM
hairmetal4ever(Z7 MD)

From a local park. Most London Plane look more or less like this around here.

Bookmark   August 24, 2014 at 2:55PM
hairmetal4ever(Z7 MD)

Leaf:

Bookmark   August 24, 2014 at 2:56PM
toronado3800 Zone 6 StLouis(6)

At least they have attractive bark for the winter or when they are defoliated.

I just can't beliebe after losing ALL their Ash trees the Gateway Arch ground folks decided to plant ALL of one kind of tree again. The planetree in this case.

Bookmark   August 24, 2014 at 4:27PM
hairmetal4ever(Z7 MD)

I do wonder if some of the newer cultivars like 'Exclamation' and 'Columbia' fare any better in this regard. Seems like nobody plants anything but 'Bloodgood' and unnamed seedgrown LP here.

Bookmark   August 25, 2014 at 9:43AM
poaky1

I wonder if it isn't the moisture in the air, the weather etc. My London plane has a few leaves turning burnt orange, but the Sycamores are more affected, getting brown leaves. But this is late summer, if it is just a matter of "ugly leaves" who cares? Next season it may not be a problem. If it is humidity, and is showing up in August especially middle to late August, I could live with it. I am in the country though. There are lots of other trees around, in the city I guess, if you have a specimen tree, and it looks like crap, I might be sqwauking too.

Bookmark   August 28, 2014 at 11:27PM
More Discussions
Trunk Rot. Should I shovel prune or can this little JM recover?
shovel prune or is this something it can recover from?...
kjmm1
Number 4 thread of Most successful try @ LIve oak in Pa
Okay, this is the newest thread about the Live Oak...
poaky1
Recent visit to Hirosaki Castle - Maples and Ginkgo
Video link: http://youtu.be/paMIiTiS2OU Japanese Maples...
jujujojo_gw
Cherry Tree Looks Ready to Split
We have a cheery tree in our front yard with a split...
donfalco2
Help/how to maintain Aspens
Hi- we moved into a house with large mature Aspens...
Kate
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™