Semi-rare, Neat, or Pretty Woody Plants from Hawaii Trip_Set 5

brandon7 TN_zone(7)September 16, 2011

Last Set (5 of 5)

Not even woody plants, but too pretty not to post...

Moir Gardens

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
j0nd03

Hawaii really looks like an alien world in some of your pics. A trip to the state is in my top 3 vacation priorities. Hopefully in 3-4 years when the kids are old enough to remember the trip, we will load up and go. Everyone I know that has been there says it is a "must see".

Thanks for sharing all the pics in the other topics, too. It is nice to have quality pics of rare/unusual/foreign trees to enjoy.

John

Bookmark   September 17, 2011 at 8:41AM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

Unfortunately, this trip wasn't really a vacation, but I did get a chance to revisit some neat places (Limahuli Garden, McBryde Garden, Kokee). I ran into Moir Gardens by accident. I hadn't even known it existed.

Bookmark   September 17, 2011 at 7:32PM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

I'm gonna go ahead and bump all of these down.

In case anyone comes along later and wants to see all of them, here are the links:

Set 1
Set 2
Set 3
Set 4
Set 5

Bookmark   September 18, 2011 at 10:09AM
botann(z8 SEof Seattle)

Some of the cacti in the Moir garden have escaped into the surrounding countryside. It's on the dry side of the island.
Did you know there is an arboretum up behind Kapaa? Keahua Arboretum.
Kokee State Park has Coast Redwood interplanted with Cunninghamia lanceolata, 'Glauca' across the field toward the road by the museum and cafe.
Mike

Bookmark   September 21, 2011 at 8:27AM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

Yeah, I have known about that arboretum, but have never actually been there. From what I've been told, it's more of a swimming hole and picnic area than what I think of as an arboretum. If you've been there and that's not right, let me know. I'll take a look next time I'm there.

I thought about posting a bunch of pictures of Kokee, but didn't take the time to sort through them for posting. Most people would probably be surprised to know that that place was in Hawaii. The flora is so drastically different than down in the lower areas. Too bad there's not a Mountain Goat Forum. I got some awesome closeup pictures of them, running around on the narrowest of tiny ledges.

Bookmark   September 21, 2011 at 10:30AM
More Discussions
Tree Removal Plan
Hi, I have a 100ft Silver Maple in my front lawn. It...
ACharles
2015 Midatlantic/SE/New England winter damage thread
I don't mean to exclude the midwest but I think for...
davidrt28 (zone 7)
Grafting trees - shower tree + mango + avocado
Hi, The house Im about to buy has a shower tree right...
Daniela Andrade
Cherry Tree Looks Ready to Split
We have a cheery tree in our front yard with a split...
donfalco2
Trunk Rot. Should I shovel prune or can this little JM recover?
shovel prune or is this something it can recover from?...
kjmm1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™