Rose campion and variations therof

wendy2shoesApril 27, 2014

I recently received and have sprouts of white campion. I can't remember..so long since I w/s rose campion..does it bloom first season?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greylady_gardener

mine (both white and pink) have been biennial. Nice fuzzy clump the first year and flowers the second, so let them reseed or collect and plant seeds each year for continuous bloom. I mainly let them do their own thing. :)

Bookmark   April 28, 2014 at 7:22AM
vera_eastern_wa(5a-5b)

Hmmmm I remember mine as being perennial and re-seeding a little too well, but easy to hoe out. I received seeds and have somewhere around 15-20 seedlings of Lychnis coronaria 'Angel's Blush'....yeah! Sprouted about a month ago.

Vera

Bookmark   April 28, 2014 at 9:58AM
greylady_gardener

well I started to doubt myself so I just had to look up and see what the gardening sites said about it.....and got all different answers. Perennial and biennial mostly, but one site even said they were annuals! :) I guess different kinds grow differently. I always thought that mine were biennial, but maybe I just thought they were and automatically pulled them when they looked withered up after they flowered. Guess I will leave them this year and see what happens next year. :)

Bookmark   April 29, 2014 at 11:51AM
tiffy_z5_6_can(5/6)

This is 'one of those' which can do it's own thing. Kind of like some foxgloves - some remain true to their nature of being biennials, and others decided to stay a couple more years, but they never get to the point of real perrenials which can be divided after a few years. :O)

Bookmark   May 4, 2014 at 10:05AM
vera_eastern_wa(5a-5b)

Yes....but there are both biennial and perennial species of Foxglove......Digitalis ambigua or AKA D. grandiflora is perennial :)

Bookmark   May 6, 2014 at 1:30PM
More Discussions
Brrrrr! Pretty cold out there, too cold?
I just started winter sowing and have my first containers...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
I'm using Clothier's Seed Germination Chart, is there one for Veggies?
Morz8 kindly pointed me in the direction of Clothier's...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Is it too late to sow these….
Just starting winter sowing this week. Would love...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Green gunk on my soil: can I salvage?
Here's the facts: Newbie WSer Bought the Miracle Grow...
emcd124
Can I winter sow Salvia 'Clary Mix'? Or do I need a greenhouse?
Does anyone have any experience wintersowing this species?...
ladyrose65
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™