mildew,fungus?

debandrosesDecember 2, 2012

Due to long working hours I , unfortunately couldn't monitor my roses this last few weeks. when I went out yesterday they had what looked like black streaks on the leaves. It looked as though a small paint brush had been dipped in black paint and swiped over the leaves. I immediately sprayed with Bayer. What could this be? I couldn't find anything on line that resembled it. I just moved to northern okla from central okla and haven't encountered this before , even though I've been growing roses for about 10 yrs.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jerijen(Zone 10)

Is there a possibility that we could SEE this?

Either a digital photo -- OR a good alternative is leaves, laid in a flatbed scanner.

There are so many things that could cause this.

Jeri

Bookmark   December 2, 2012 at 12:20PM
debandroses

Sorry, I'm really bad at this. But here goes...I sent the best I could find. This is more generalized but it's how it ends up looking.

Bookmark   December 2, 2012 at 1:43PM
jerijen(Zone 10)

Well, I'm in CA, rather than OK -- but if I saw that here, particularly this late in the year, I'd just chalk it up to some sort of damage, and not worry about it.

Someone closer to your area may have more helpful thoughts.

Jeri

Bookmark   December 2, 2012 at 1:54PM
nanadollZ7 SWIdaho(Zone 7 Boise SW Idaho)

I'd agree with that analysis. It looks like the leaves have experienced some cold weather. Diane

Bookmark   December 2, 2012 at 3:03PM
seil zone 6b MI

I agree. Leaves that have suffered some frost damage will get that black mottled look to them. At this late date in the season I wouldn't worry about it. They're about ready to drop now for the winter and they'll all get replaced with new growth in the spring.

Bookmark   December 2, 2012 at 4:23PM
debandroses

Thanks to all for the reassurance! I always start with bands and didn't want my babies to die! Everything I know I've learned from lurking on this board and I've had wonderful success. I've never lost a rose and don't want to start now.

Bookmark   December 2, 2012 at 6:09PM
More Discussions
Simplicity-Even a bad rose sometimes can be good
Simplicity is overall a rose best skipped. But it has...
Kippy
Does Anyone Grow Rina Hugo?
This is a new rose in my garden, and one I'd never...
ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
Blue Girl - bush
I'm starting to think about culling out the noncontenders...
canadian_rose
Soaking a bareroot rose?
I've been wondering about the best way to prepare a...
sara_ann-z6bok
New record!
OK, all you snow freaks, you got your new record here...
seil zone 6b MI
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™