Shade tolerance of Hot Cocoa, Cinco de Mayo and Dragon's Blood

redwolfdoc_z5(5)December 1, 2013

Hello!

I'm wondering if anyone can shed light (so to speak) on the potential shade tolerance for Hot Cocoa, Cinco de Mayo and Dragon's Blood...

I've got my orders in and now have the winter to ponder positions! My part-sun/dappled-shade bed is already earmarked for Bleu Magenta and possibly Nightmoss, now I'm just wondering about how those browns would look in the shade...

I'm zone 5b, on the north side of Lake Ontario, with rather humid summers.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seil zone 6b MI

I have Hot Cocoa in part shade and while it does grow it doesn't bloom very much. I get maybe two flushes a season.

Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 11:16AM
bethnorcal9

My HOT COCOA is in pretty much direct full sun and it blooms almost constantly. So I don't think I'd try it in a shady spot. CINCO DE MAYO is in a sorta half-and-half area and it rarely blooms. Altho that particular bed mostly just needs some amending to get it going, so can't say for sure on that one. I do have DRAGON'S BLOOD in a fairly shady spot. It's in a big ceramic pot and doesn't get much full sun. It gets "light" but it's mostly shaded. It does great. Repeats very well. grows well too. The only drawback is the coloring isn't quite what I see in other people's pics. It's more red-orange than that smoky red-russet color.

Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 12:43PM
ratdogheads(5b NH)

My Cinco gets full morning sun and is in shade by early afternoon. Bloom quantity and repeat are excellent but it gets terrible black spot and I wonder if the shade plays a part in that (that bed stays damp ).

Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 1:22PM
redwolfdoc_z5(5)

Thanks so much for the insights! Sounds so far like I should stick to sunny spots for the smoky reds.

How about Brothers Grimm Fairy Tale? It's described as shade tolerant.. Does that imply it will be happier in the shade? Based on colours, I was thinking of planting it near my Julia Child and About Face - which are squarely in the sun.

Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 5:07PM
redwolfdoc_z5(5)

Thanks so much for the insights! Sounds so far like I should stick to sunny spots for the smoky reds.

How about Brothers Grimm Fairy Tale? It's described as shade tolerant.. Does that imply it will be happier in the shade? Based on colours, I was thinking of planting it near my Julia Child and About Face - which are squarely in the sun.

Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 5:08PM
More Discussions
Soaking a bareroot rose?
I've been wondering about the best way to prepare a...
sara_ann-z6bok
New record!
OK, all you snow freaks, you got your new record here...
seil zone 6b MI
Earth kind roses trials in northern gardens.
This should help us northern rose gardeners. Iowa State...
Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
Awesome Climber
This is a very popular spot to take photos in the San...
FriendsSJRoseGarden
Rainbow Happy Trails
My local nursery has a rose named Rainbow Happy Trails....
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™