Sombreuil in zone 5

predfern(z5 Chicago)December 31, 2013

I came across a recent article from Wisconsin claiming that Sombreuil is winter hardy. Has anyone grown this rose in zone 5? Other roses mentioned include Orchid Romance, Colette and Golden Fairy Tale.

No More Rose Divas
by Linda Kimmel - posted 07/10/13
http://statebystategardening.com/state.php/wi/articles/no_more_rose_divas/

Here is a link that might be useful: No More Rose Divas

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jacqueline9CA

You definitely need to hear from someone who grows it (or tried to grow it) in zone 5, but since everyone seems to think it is a winchuriana hybrid of some sort, I would not be surprised if it was cold hardy enough.

Jackie

Bookmark   December 31, 2013 at 7:01PM
susan4952(5)

I have one ordered for spring. Am curious also.

Bookmark   December 31, 2013 at 9:54PM
professorroush(6A)

I've tried and lost two when we were classified as Zone 5B....and I really don't think it was me. I've never seen it growing anywhere in this region.

Bookmark   January 1, 2014 at 4:39PM
predfern(z5 Chicago)

Thanks for the responses. I will look for something else.

Bookmark   January 1, 2014 at 5:08PM
nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska

I've had Sombreuil (or whatever is marketed under that name in the US - Colonial White perhaps) for about 5 years. It's resolutely hardy for me in my zone 5, but maybe the dryness of my region adds to its hardiness when it wasn't for professorRoush. I have to say it doesn't bloom much, but it's in part shade and not optimal circumstances. It's trouble free and mostly cane hardy for me but under its present performance I wouldn't replace it unless it decides to wow me in the near future.

In general, I think something else would meet your purposes better.

Cynthia

Bookmark   January 1, 2014 at 8:01PM
predfern(z5 Chicago)

Thanks Cynthia. I am still considering Orchid Romance, Golden Fairy Tale and Colette. Orchid Romance comes from Radler the Knockout guy but is fragrant with old fashioned blooms. Colette has Prairie Princess (Buck) in its background. I have not tried any of the Fairy Tale roses yet but Golden Fairy Tale is supposed to be vigorous and somewhat fragrant (not sure about winter hardiness in zone 5a).

Bookmark   January 2, 2014 at 8:24AM

Sounds like some much more robust choices. All of the Fairy Tale roses have been completely hardy and excellent bloomers for me, the only downside with Golden FT is that it pales relatively quickly, but it's a nice light lemon-cream color when faded. Colette has survived one winter for me and shows promise, but no blooms yet. I haven't succumbed yet to the Orchid Romance attraction yet but it's on my short list to consider - where are you looking for yours to purchase in 2013?

Cynthia

Bookmark   January 2, 2014 at 8:47PM
predfern(z5 Chicago)

Roses Unlimited has them listed on their website. I have not asked RU yet if they are in stock. Have you noticed any fragrance on Golden Fairy Tale?

Bookmark   January 2, 2014 at 11:58PM

Ah good thanks for the input - I may check with Pat about the Orchid Romance as I'm still finishing up an order with RU. As for fragrance, I'm not a good informant as I don't have a good nose, but I haven't been able to detect anything significant from GFT, so if it's there it's mild. In general, Kordes roses aren't known for their fragrance but for hardiness and disease resistance, though both Floral Fairy Tale and Elegant Fairy Tale have some fragrance to my nose.

Cynthia

Bookmark   January 4, 2014 at 1:16PM
bellarosa(z5/IL)

I actually bought "Sombreuil" from Home Depot this past Fall. That's what it was labeled as. I planted it in a sunny spot, and I'm interested to see if it will survive our tough Winters. I also have "Colette" and she's a great rose. Mine grew really tall this year and I might have to move her to another spot. I'm surprised that the roses mentioned in Ms. Kimmel's article don't list any Canadian Explorer roses. These are super hardy and beautiful roses. I have quite a few - John Davis, William Baffin, John Cabot and I just purchased Quadra. If you're searching for hardy roses, give these a try.

Bookmark   January 5, 2014 at 10:19PM
predfern(z5 Chicago)

Colette sounds promising. Is it fragrant? I don't have any Canadian Explorers yet because I got the impression that they were not very fragrant (except for rugosa hybrids). Hardier Austins seem to do well here.

Bookmark   January 6, 2014 at 12:18AM
More Discussions
Tons of bugs on newly planted roses
So it's been alittle over 2 weeks now and I'm noticing...
bruin27
First bloom on a new bush - I like it !!
Crescendo - A new one for me. Hope it always looks...
suebelle_neworleans
Blooming right now.
On the first day of Spring yesterday I went around...
caflowerluver
Garden Plan Advice
First off, thanks to everyone for the huge wealth of...
My Name
Bengal Tiger rose
Im in southeast. I am planting Bengal Tiger rose in...
ladriannec
Sponsored Products
Santiago 5-Light Chandelier
LBC Lighting
W Lounge Chair in Light Gray
$798.00 | LexMod
Pratt Street Metal 1Lt Wall Sconce Autumn Bro
PLFixtures
Garner Bar Stool Set of 4 in Red
$529.00 | LexMod
Patio Living Concepts Outdoor Lighting. 28 in. Catalina Bisque Table Lamp with C
Home Depot
Patio Living Concepts Outdoor Lighting. 15 in. Coronado Table Lamp in White with
Home Depot
Janette Entertainment Console - IVORY/PARCHMENT
$2,099.00 | Horchow
Tag Urban Narrow Console Table Multicolor - 16670.08.132
$329.55 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™