Ice storm! Think they'll survive?

redwolfdoc_z5(5)December 24, 2013

Our house has been without power for going on 72 hours now; it's down to 4C inside (that's 39F for you south of the border types) and we don't know where we're going to have Christmas, yet I still have some concern to spare for my roses! :)

Anyone have any experience with roses whose canes are encased in ice? I still have hope...

Here's poor Julia Child

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dublinbay z6 (KS)

We just reassured Josh (TX) over on the Antique Roses forum. Some of the posts there should help you out and put your worries to rest.

Hope you house heat come back soon--we just went part of one night without here in Kansas. No fun.

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: Frozen Roses (Antique Roses forum)

Bookmark   December 24, 2013 at 1:27PM
redwolfdoc_z5(5)

Thank you Kate, that thread IS reassuring!

The cold and dark house is no fun indeed. Though there's always a bright side, and the lack of electronics does translate to more family time!
In any case, I'm sure we'll be back up and running soon. Work crews are going above and beyond to get it going again as fast as possible. In the meantime we're warm and dry at friends'.

Bookmark   December 24, 2013 at 1:50PM
nanadollZ7 SWIdaho(Zone 7 Boise SW Idaho)

I'm more concerned about your lack of house heat right now than the roses. Heirloom Roses just sent me a mailing that said spraying down roses so they are encased in ice is a good way to prepare roses for winter. The ice at 32 degrees acts as insulation. The roots are what you need to protect.
My roses lost their blooms a long time ago, and are deep in dormancy. We've had terribly cold weather since November, so I was surprised to see those recent blooms on JC in your cold zone, redwolfdoc. Diane

Bookmark   December 24, 2013 at 3:48PM
redwolfdoc_z5(5)

Thanks Diane. I might sound glib about the house heat, but it has been a hardship. Luckily, family elsewhere in the city got their heat back earlier today, so we do have somewhere to go now. Outside is in the -15 range (5F) and inside our house is approaching freezing. We've taken steps for the pipes and taken our cat with us to warmer shores.

We actually had a pretty balmy November. Wet, but not particularly cold. December has been a different story!

Sounds like the roses should weather this well, if you'll pardon the pun. Or at least I oughtn't lose hope just yet!

Bookmark   December 24, 2013 at 3:59PM
jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.

I hope all turns out well with the heating situation!
God Bless!

Bookmark   December 25, 2013 at 9:31AM
lsst(7b)

I hope you have heat soon. Take care

Bookmark   December 25, 2013 at 7:29PM
More Discussions
Anyone have experience with baby romantica roses? I'm in zone 8.
Just came across Romantica roses - charming! I container...
salleygardens
Earth kind roses trials in northern gardens.
This should help us northern rose gardeners. Iowa State...
Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
Please Get To The Huntington Quickly!!
Please try to get to the Huntington in the next few...
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
Roses and their offspring
I would like to learn more about roses that have reputations...
sara_ann-z6bok
Is "horticultural oil" just mineral oil?
I've been reading about it and am confused. I know...
nonconformist_nymphette
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™