Sturgeon Memorial Rose Gardens Photos

TNY78(7a-East TN)December 3, 2012

This past weekend, my family and I were in Florida for a funeral, and decided to take a drive around the cemetery (I know that may sound odd, but I just find them peaceful and beautiful). I was so excited when I found an All America Rose Display Garden in the middle of the cemetery! It was a pleasant surprise on a sad day �� Plus, my own roses back in Tennessee have been dormant for about a month now, and it was nice to see so many blooms!
The garden is called the ��Sturgeon Memorial Rose Garden,�� and is located at the Moss-Feaster funeral home and cemetery in Largo, FL. They have a collection of over 400 roses, and truly is a beautiful setting! Here are some of the pictures (sorry there��s so many, but I couldn��t narrow them down!)
Enjoy, Tammy

Love

Kentucky Derby

Brigadoon

Mrs. Dudley Cross

Elina

Our Lady of Guadalupe

Europeana

Hot Cocoa

Charisma (I now remember why I SP��d this one�K.gaudy!!!)

Pink Chiffon

Pierrine (Not familiar with this mini, but I really like it!)

Mary Rose

Brandy

Veterans Honor

Scott Chait (didn��t know this one either�K.but it��s very pretty!)

Garden Views

Confidence

White Success

Garden View

Black Cherry

Queen E

Molineaux

Tropical Sunset

Alachua Red Cascade

Moonstone

Abe Darby

Melody Parfumee

Granada

Wild Blue Yonder

Green Rose

Double Delight

Cotillion

Prominent

A lovely bush of Old Blush!

Miss Atwood

Little visiting egret ��

Out of Africa

Champney��s Pink Cluster

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mirendajean(Donegal, Ireland)

Thank you for sharing these photos. They are brilliant !

Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 4:58PM
TNY78(7a-East TN)

Oops...I meant to post this in the gallery...sorry!

Also, I originally typed it into a Word doc, and when I moved it over, all of my punctuation went nuts! Sorry again :(

Tammy

Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 5:30PM
windeaux

I rarely visit the gallery, so I'm glad you posted the photos here. Although I visit the Largo area from time to time, I was unaware of this garden. It was interesting to see all those rebar stakes -- necessary additions to any garden that's planted with roses on Fortuniana.

Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 9:56PM
TNY78(7a-East TN)

Next time you're in the area you should visit, its really well maintained.

My mother was asking why my roses aren't staked back in TN and I was explaining to her about rootstock. It was different, they all kind of look like mini tree roses!

Tammy

Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 7:10AM
brittie(Houston 9a)

I was just going to say that some of the roses looked like trees. Thank you for posting these! They're really beautiful! The dedication on the plaque really made me smile. If only we could all do that. :)

Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 8:16AM
harmonyp

Glad you put them here instead. Thank you for sharing these beautiful roses with us.

Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 10:25AM
strawchicago 5a IL(zone 5a)

Tammy, I'm so glad you put those great pics. in here, otherwise I would miss a free treat ... I love your pics, it's like seeing the roses in real-life while being a couch-potato. Thank you.

Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 6:41PM
ken-n.ga.mts(7a/7b)

You like those Fl. roses?? In a private garden with daily care, roses on fortuniana root stock look much cleaner. Some of those roses have been around for a few (?) years. When staking my fortuniana roses I always use brown or black "panty hose". While living in Fl., I went over there twice. Really nice display of a good variety of different roses. I use to hear people say you can't grow good roses in Florida ALL the time. Yeah, right. You should see this garden in early April :)

Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 1:12PM
saldut

Thanks for posting these pics...I've been out there several times, but it is a bit of a drive for me.... I sure don't like those bright blue ties, seems that they are overdone, the rebar can be closer and 'invisible' ties would look better, but it's a sign that someone is caring for the roses and maintaining them, the last time I was there they were quite sad looking and lots of empty spaces so it's good to see they are now cared for and to be congratulated for this.....sally

Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 6:01PM
TNY78(7a-East TN)

It's actually only the second rose garden I've been to (First was the Univ of TN Gardens) and this one had much more variety. I just wasn't expecting the garden to be there. It was a nice surprise! I'm glad to hear that they are improving it from what you've seen is the past, Sally :)

Tammy

Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 8:41PM
More Discussions
threads are not sorted from most recent to least
This sucks. I've got the threads under Lastest Activity...
rosecanadian
Old Rose Seminar, May 2, 2015 San Juan Bautista, CA
By tomorrow, I hope to have this up on the Heritage...
jerijen
do rabbits eat roses
my roses have been eaten down to about 18" and...
dmoore66
Strawberry Hill
Hi everybody :) I'm thinking of buying Strawberry Hill....
rosecanadian
Do you ever rearrange the rest of your life around roses?
Hi folks I obviously love growing and talking about...
nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™