Winter Sowing Zinnias?

LindaMA(MA z5)May 10, 2012

I've been waiting to sow my zinnias due to the non-stop rain here in MA. It looks like Saturday is going to be a nice sunny day but then we're going back into the soup again, at least until Wednesday of next week. How long can I wait to winter sow my zinnia's. I know I can just plant the seeds but I'd prefer to winter sow them in a milk jug because they always come out so nice, however, I'm worried because there isn't any sun and too much rain!

Would it be okay for me to add the seeds to the milk jugs and put them out on Saturday? Any thoughts?

Linda

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
duane456

I planted mine in jugs a couple of weeks ago. The temps here don't get high until June and most have not even sprouted yet. They will sprout when it's time. The seem to know more than I do about when they are ready. Just go ahead and do it. It won't hurt unless they sprout and then get a hard freeze. Probably unlikely now.
Duane

Bookmark   May 10, 2012 at 10:02AM
trudi_d

Should be fine, but right now you're doing Spring and Summer Sowing.

Bookmark   May 10, 2012 at 11:47AM
beachgrub(4 northern michigan)

I wintersowed mine in march and they came up faster than i expected! Oops. Even tho i've been tarping when a frost is predicted they are brown and yellow now. So about 2 weeks ago i direct sowed and they've popped up already- niiiice. If i were you i'd just wait for all the rain to pass and then direct sow due to how fast they pop. Good luck!

Bookmark   May 10, 2012 at 6:53PM
LindaMA(MA z5)

Thank you all. The fact that they pop up so quickly is why I asked. I winter sowed them last year a bit too early and what happened to beachgrub happened to me, they sprouted in about a week but then we had a few cold nights and they turned brown, not to mention the soil I had sowed them in was horrible, a cross between cement and mud. Anyway I plan on putting some jugs of Zinnias out tommorrow and I have some nice potting soil from Maine to sow them in.. I can't wait, I just love Zinnias!

Thank again,
Linda

Bookmark   May 11, 2012 at 11:49AM
ladyrose65

I sowed mine on the 8th of March. I lost mine due to cut worms and slugs. You should be fine especially if you are getting rain.

Bookmark   May 12, 2012 at 10:21AM
ellenrr(7a)

The first batch I ws'd didn't do well. Don't know why. I tried again on May 4 and by May 10th they were up, and much better germination rate than before.

If you get too much rain, you can just sling a big piece of plastic over them.

Bookmark   May 13, 2012 at 9:17AM
docmom_gw Zone 5 MI(5)

I started sowing my Zinnias this weekend, also. They should be perfect if sown around now. A little moisture before the heat hits will just get them primed to grow when the sun finally arrives. I plan to plant mine out as soon as they have any size at all.

Martha

Bookmark   May 13, 2012 at 6:06PM
PVick(6b NYC)

I just sowed a set of zinnias last night. They should come up quickly. I need to be as quick about prepping their summer home.

PV

Bookmark   May 13, 2012 at 6:27PM
caryltoo Z7/SE PA

My ws ones are OK, but the germination rate wasn't good - in one jug it was 3 out of 9. I need to resow any day now. :)

Bookmark   May 14, 2012 at 10:52AM
docmom_gw Zone 5 MI(5)

Less than a week, and most of my zinnias have already sprouted. We've had three days in the mid-70s, but cooler nights. I might even plant them out tomorrow, just to get them in the ground. What a great year.

Martha

Bookmark   May 19, 2012 at 8:44PM
More Discussions
Official Winter Sowing Count Zone Wars 2014-2015 #2:
Game of Zone 2014-2015 Link:This is the continuation...
ladyrose65
how long for annuals to sprout?
I moved and cannot find my records from last year....
ellenr22 - NJ - Zone 6b/7a
has anyone ws aubrieta?
Is it too late to ws aubrieta. I am in zone 5- Iowa....
maryjozone5
OK, Now that I have sprouts what do I do next
Should I water the little baby sprouts? When do I...
smokey28777
Sponsored Products
City - 11" x 14"
Grandin Road
Melbourne wool blanket - smoked brown
Origin Crafts
Honeycomb Cell Light-filtering Cream Cordless Cellular Shades
Overstock.com
Fifth Avenue Winter Gold Three-Light Pendant
$448.00 | Bellacor
Capital Lighting Winter Gold Modern Contempo Bath Vanity Light
1800Lighting