Hortico Rose Order

alameda/zone 8December 3, 2012

My Hortico rose order came this afternoon. They were well packed, still damp, canes were beautifully green and healthy, good root systems. I have ordered from Hortico for years and never had a problem. We are having 81 degrees here, unseasonably warm, and I look forward to getting most of them planted tomorrow - they are soaking now. They have roses I cant find anywhere else so its really fun to add these to my garden! They have lots of interesting roses - wish I had time, energy and more beds to plant more.
Judith

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ogrose_tx

Alameda, glad you're happy with your order; what did you get?

I just ordered Heirloom and Francis Dubreuil from Chamblee's, but requested shipping for late February (out of habit, I guess!)

Isn't this weather great?? So good for cleaning up the garden, I could go for this year round, but guess everything needs time to rest...

Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 3:55PM
TNY78(7a-East TN)

I placed my first order with them last year, and was pleased. After reading so many negative reviews, I was a little afraid, but there was a couple of roses that I really wanted, and they were the only ones who carried them.

I placed another other for this coming spring, so I hope to have a similar experience :)

Tammy

Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 5:38PM
alameda/zone 8

Tammy, glad you had a good experience with Hortico too. What did you order? They have so many interesting ones!!

Here's what I ordered:
Orange Ruffels/Ruffles - an older hard to find Brownell
Cl. Royal Sunset
Little Gigi
Magenta
Miami Moon - hard to find apricot
Golden Border - read some very positive comments on this
Dorcas - one of my very favorite Bucks - got 2!
And the Austins:
Lady Emma Hamilton
Lillian Austin
Cressida
Lucetta
Leander

Loving this warmer weather! I plan to dig all day tomorrow!
Judith

Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 5:59PM
TNY78(7a-East TN)

Really nice list, Judith! Some of those I've never heard of. Here's what I ordered...

1. Commandant Beaurepaire
2. Robbie Burns (lesser known Austin)
3. Sissinghurst Castle
4. JH Pierneef
5. S.E.A. of Love (I tried to root this one last year with no luck)
6. Fiesta (the striped one by Lim)
7. Purple Popcorn (bred from The Fairy,Seafoam, and Rouletti,,can't go wrong there!)
8. The Nightwatch (really cool looking stripey!)
9. Metis

Tammy

Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 6:10PM
roseseek

You will love Royal Sunset, Judith. Imagine enormous Brandy blooms with great fragrance and in masses. It was stupendous here until it got eaten. Kim

Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 6:18PM
john_ca(CA US9/SSZ14)

I also seen all of the negative reports on Hortico, but it seems that many of the more recent postings have been positive. I therefore placed a small order with them for some very hard-to-find older Austins that I have grown before in another town:
-English Garden (ordered it twice from Pickering and was sent what I believe to be either Charles Austin or Yellow Charles Austin-one plant threw a 9 foot cane: definitely NOT English Garden
-Cressida: one of my favorite Austins
-William Morris
-Claire Rose: flowers last forever; will grow to 9 or 10 feet with flowers only at the tips of the canes, but responds well to pegging.

I do hope that the plants they send are truly these varieties, as I understand that many were sent mislabeled roses in the past. The UPS put it out for delivery at 4 AM this morning, should arrive today!

Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 2:44PM
More Discussions
I just gotta have it!
I don't know why I used to be satisfied with just a...
sara_ann-z6bok
Fortuniana grafted roses
If you can grow rose's that are grafted onto fortuniana...
Ken (N.E.GA.mts) 7a/b
Anyone grow Delbard roses (like Dames de Chenonceau)?
I've been told that the Delbards are a lot like Austins....
gardenerzone4
Westerland
Westerland is a newer rose and in my opinion, a better...
lynnette
What rose is this?!?
First photo is what I'm looking for answers to. I thought...
Selah Kleaning
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™