Bleeding Heart and Germination?

vera_eastern_wa(5a-5b)May 10, 2013

I've started these before at the old place, but can't remember when to expect germination? How long are their seeds viable? I think I got these seeds in a trade with Alberta maybe in '08 or '09....are they too old? When to give up?

Also, how long to wait for False Blue Indigo and Asclepias tuberosa? My only perennials germinated so far are Echinacea purpurea, Thymus serpyllum and two different Columbines.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
adidas(6/7)

Not an expert...my first yr w/s but I sowed A. tuberosa in Dec and mine is up and I've planted some of it out already. As for bleeding heart? Well, I can't tell you anything about viability but I can tell you that some animal or bird sowed BH seeds in the mulch I spread last fall and this stuff reached maturity and is flowering as I write...I've never seen anything like it! If you've had a colder spring than normal maybe things just haven't germinated yet? Though I haven't w/s before I have been growing from seed for a long time and I never give up on anything...if it seems an overly long time has passed and you've had no germination, I'd just leave the seeds in a pot outside and forget about them...they might surprise you :)

Good luck!

Bookmark   May 11, 2013 at 5:43PM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

There was a discussion of Dicentra (Lamprocapnos) spectabilis germination a while back to which I contributed. It might be of interest.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lamprocapnos spectabilis

Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 4:57PM
vera_eastern_wa(5a-5b)

Actually our spring is warmer than normal, but afraid that means a dry summer. We were literally surrounded by wildfires last summer/fall and this past winter we got much less snow!! Keeping fingers crossed that we don't get any dry lightening or careless campers! Almost all of my annuals are up (including some last minute annuals.....African Daisy *Dimorphtheca.

Thanks for the link....on my way to check it out. Didn't realize the latin name had been changed.

Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 12:28PM
More Discussions
Where did everyone go?
I know lots of folks are on the FB WS group but where...
indianaplantlover
Extreme cold predicted and my seeds have sprouted
I have WS cabbage sprouting here in Zone 7, but Sunday...
coffeehaus
Trying again after 10 years..
Hollyhocks, hibiscus, yarrow, delphinium, lychinis,...
CEFreeman_GW
Stopping by to say Hello
Hello to all the Winter Sowers I just dropped by to...
richdelmo
Annuals
Can you wintersow, Tithonia and Salvia now? I have...
bellarosa
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™