Over Winter Tree Saplings

gardenputzOctober 7, 2013

I have 3 Betula Negra Duraheat saplings coming this week. I was planning on putting them in pots and overwintering them in a unheated porch. The temperature will get below freezing out there but not nearly as often as the outdoors. Anyone see this as a bad idea? Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lucky_p

If you know where you want them growing, go ahead and plant them there. Now; and mulch well.
Any time the ground temp is above 40 degrees, they'll likely be accomplishing some root growth, which will translate into better growth next year.
Better off in the ground than in a pot.

Bookmark   October 7, 2013 at 3:20PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

yes... a horrible idea...

why cant you just plant them???

otherwise.. pot them.. and leave them outside... against the north side of a wall... to keep all winter sun off them ...

and they will need a tree potting media.. not one heavy in peat .. too much water for trees in winter ... cactus mix would be perfect... or bark mini nuggets mixed 50/50 with a peat media ...

and once watered.. just about never water them again in winter.. but make sure they dont dry ... dormant trees dont need a lot of water ....

see.. that is why healing them into mother earth would be easier.. and cheaper.. in the long run ...

a zone appropriate plant [this one is 5 to 9.. you are 6] .. does not need to be protected from cold ... and now is prime planting time...

you are on the verge of loving them to death.. just plant them ... even if you have to move them in spring.. before they wake up ....

see link for PROPER PLANTING.. and PROPER AFTERCARE... based on your soil

if it were me.. and i couldnt place them in a permanent site.. i would HEAL THEM into the veggie garden... [or any free space in a garden bed] ....for winter.. ma nature is a pro at it.. use her..

do not overthink this .... every time i failed.. i can usually relate it back to overthinking it ..

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: no fert.. no amendments.. proper depth for soil and drainage... mulch and proper water ...

Bookmark   October 7, 2013 at 3:23PM
gardenputz

Well the saplings are mail order shipped from Oregon to N.J.
I imagine they will be in somewhat sorry shape on arrival. They will be approximately 5 ft tall and I was hoping to grow them a little bigger before planting them in their final spot in front of the house. Deer are also a problem. How about a large planter container of some sort ,let them grow in it outdoors for a year and then plant them when they are larger?

Bookmark   October 7, 2013 at 7:49PM
famartin(z5 NE NV)

ForestFarm I take it?

I planted Sequoiadendron giganteum and Sequoia sempervirens as soon as they arrived at my parents home in New Jersey from ForestFarm in early November 2009. They're still alive and over 6 feet tall now ;)

So, like everyone else said, its far wiser to plant them where they will end up staying now, rather than later.

This post was edited by famartin on Mon, Oct 7, 13 at 23:02

Bookmark   October 7, 2013 at 11:01PM
gardenputz

Thanks for the responses I'll plant them outside.

Bookmark   October 8, 2013 at 8:15PM
More Discussions
Help my dying tree it's leaves are drying
I found a dying tree and brought it home just to have...
sashaprokaski
Alder tree has bark curling, cracking, and falling off
One of the Alder trees on our property in northern...
rocko_54
need help pruning trees
I have a Kentucky Coffee Tree (gymnocladus dioicus)...
Dave Varel
Growing Hickory and Hican for Nut Production (3)
Continuing from part 1 and 2 (maximum posts reached) Good...
gardener365
2015 Midatlantic/SE/New England winter damage thread
I don't mean to exclude the midwest but I think for...
davidrt28 (zone 7)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™