Suggestion for small evergreen tree

tricia_pa(z6b PA)October 19, 2010

I need a suggestion for an evergreen tree/shrub that would be a focal point in the front of our house in front of our porch. I would prefer something no bigger than 15 feet, airy, not too dense. We currently have a blue atlas cedar that was there when we bought the house and of course is getting very large. It looked great for a few years but we're having it removed as it will soon dwarf the house.

Thank you for any ideas.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenthumbzdude

I would go with American Holly. Its a rare Pennsylvania native tree. It also is slow growing and its small red berries provide food for songbirds in the winter. It does however max out at 50 feet but thats not for well over a hundred years.

Bookmark   October 19, 2010 at 4:34PM
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA

There are some really nice American Holly cultivars as well. Like 'Satyr Hill', 'Dan Fenton', etc. These were selected for form, nice leaves and good berry production. Might be hard to find.

Also, as far as conifers go, there are some really gorgeous Hinoki Cypresses that you might like. They almost convey an Asian feel. Not too dense, nicely layered branching effect. Look them up! Lots of cultivars to choose from. Some have gold tips. All stay a nice green in winter. Don't require pruning.

Bookmark   October 20, 2010 at 8:44AM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

please define 'evergreen'

do you want a conifer ... flowering shrub ... berry shrub ... ????

evergreen means many differing plants ...

ken

Bookmark   October 20, 2010 at 8:48AM
tricia_pa(z6b PA)

Thanks for the suggestions. I will definitely do some research on the American hollies. A hinoki cypress was one of my thoughts too. I saw a golden one in the nursery and really liked it.

By evergreen, I meant non-deciduous. I don't have my mind set on a conifer, flowering shrub, etc. I am open to a wide range.

Bookmark   October 20, 2010 at 2:33PM
More Discussions
Trunk Rot. Should I shovel prune or can this little JM recover?
shovel prune or is this something it can recover from?...
kjmm1
Japanese snowbell - anyone with experience growing in zone 5?
I'm looking for a tree for our front yard. Japanese...
mattow42
2015 Midatlantic/SE/New England winter damage thread
I don't mean to exclude the midwest but I think for...
davidrt28 (zone 7)
500 ft Privacy Fence/Screen trees advise
I have a very large property line that I would like...
zrodimel
where to prune these maples?
ugh what happened to GW?? anywho - need some advice...
skyjumper
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™