Osage Oranges/Hedge apples

ryseryse_2004October 31, 2013

What to do with these --- hundreds fell from the tree. No to insect repellent as it just plain doesn't work. Any ideas for crafts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hairmetal4ever(Z7 MD)

Use them as baseballs? They might be fun when the bat hits them.

Bookmark   October 31, 2013 at 4:25PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

i dont get the insect repellant joke????

ken

Bookmark   October 31, 2013 at 4:51PM
jinxz5(Z 5a)

People once thought keeping the fruit in a basement or garage would keep out spiders and insects. Probably has no merit. I still see older people collecting the fruit along the roadside. Jay

Bookmark   October 31, 2013 at 5:04PM
poaky1

We get them here every fall, they are locally called "Monkey balls". If you want to start a impenitral hedge, use the seeds.

Bookmark   November 1, 2013 at 12:41AM
hairmetal4ever(Z7 MD)

We used to hurl them at each other as kids. There was a gnarly old specimen in our subdivision that wasn't cut down when the houses were built. More than once I got surprised with a thud on the back as one of those ugly, green orbs was hurled in my general direction, quickly reciprocated, of course.

Bookmark   November 1, 2013 at 9:25AM
drpraetorius(7)

throw them away.

Bookmark   November 1, 2013 at 9:20PM
lucky_p

I've seen something, somewhere, some time ago, where folks sliced them on a bandsaw, dried them, and made crafts with them - don't remember what, though 'flowers' seem to come to mind...

Bookmark   November 4, 2013 at 10:06AM
MulchMama

There aren't enough crafters on earth to deal with all the hedge apples around this area. They're not on our property, but the farm in back of us has a long tree line along the road -- all Osage orange. The road is totally littered with them now.

I'd try to find one of those punkin-chunkin machines and retrofit it for hedgeapples. Better still, let them dry and then burn 'em. The fewer of those things, the better.

Bookmark   November 4, 2013 at 1:51PM
alabamatreehugger(8)

I've tried growing Osage orange trees four times, but they must not like my soil, they just sit there a couple of years then die. I've heard they prefer alkaline soil, so that could be the problem, my soil is very acidic.

Bookmark   November 8, 2013 at 5:29PM
edlincoln(6A)

Feed them to elephants. Apparently elephants are the only animal that will eat them.

I read an article about how these fruit evolved to be dispersed by mammoths. With the mammoths gone, nothing in North America eats them.

Turn them into compost? I bet there are a lot of nutrients in them, and the fiber would probably hold water once the rest of them rot away.

Hollow them out, dry them, and use them in flower arrangements? Or mini Jack-Olanterns?

Use them as Christmas tree ornaments?

Bookmark   November 8, 2013 at 6:54PM
ryseryse_2004

Elephants and squirrels. The squirrels dig them up from under the snow every winter. I'm sure plenty of other animals like them also but I only see the squirrels go after them outside my window.

Bookmark   November 9, 2013 at 8:21AM
Xtal(z8b Temple. TX)

If any site would show what to do with them regarding crafts, Pinterest.com will. Start thinking outside the box in how they could be used, even if they don't retain that "look".

Glad you asked the question. I've always wondered, too. You'll need to try any number of word combinations.

http://www.folkfibers.com/blogs/news/7250546-natural-dyes-osage-orange

http://wendyfe.wordpress.com/tag/dyeing-with-osage-orange/

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/32510428531309773/

http://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t9533-osage-orange-whip-1-year

Bookmark   November 9, 2013 at 11:48AM
lucky_p

Cows will eat them, as well. I've seen them chewing on sodden, bletted fruit, wallowing them around in their mouths 'til they mash them up enough to swallow. But, I've also seen them 'choke' on them - if they don't chew them adequately, they can lodge in their esophagus, precluding eructation of rumen gases, causing bloat - and potentially death.

Bookmark   November 9, 2013 at 7:49PM
poaky1

Alabamatreehugger, My area is slightly acid to neutral and they are common here as hedges gone wild. There is one that isn't tall and beautiful but the trunk has become nice and showy. I will try to get a picture of it, it is orange and deeply ridged bark, has been there all my life that I can recall. They are native to Texas as I recall reading, named after the Osage Indians in Texas.

Bookmark   November 9, 2013 at 8:50PM
More Discussions
Magnolias too close to house?
I bought my house just over a year ago and have been...
johnkirking
Trees for wet heavy clay soil?
Trees for wet heavy clay soil? The soil is sort of...
nerys54
Is it possible to establish a leader on this tree?
I am looking for suggestion on how to make this into...
longtee81
Control Freak
On my way into B'more this morning I saw these Edgeworthia...
sam_md
Would windex overspray hurt dormant oak or metasequoia?
Was cleaning the windows outside with Windex today....
hairmetal4ever
Sponsored Products
Missoni Home | Osage Neutral Pillow 16x16
YLiving.com
Missoni Home | Osage Vivid Pillow 16x16
YLiving.com
Missoni Home | Osage Neutral Pillow 24x24
YLiving.com
Missoni Home | Osage PW Neutral Pouf
YLiving.com
Missoni Home | Osage Vivid Pillow 24x24
YLiving.com