Doing the dance

mnwsgal 4 MN(4)May 9, 2013

First ws sprouts here in Zone 4 on Tuesday, papaver and dianthus.
Usually I have a wave of germination around mid-May. Wondering if this will be late because of our cold, snowy spring.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
northforker

Congratulations! You know they will just keep coming now!

Even here in zone 7, germination is very slow this year. I am hoping we'll at least get an extended season into the fall for it.

I've gotten enough sprouting to start planting out, but boy do those dianthus, fever few and sweet william seedlings look desperately unready to be in the ground. They've not grown at all since they were put in - - I think they would like to hop on a plane to Florida.

Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 8:44PM
ellenrr(7a)

Congratulations, MN!
Last year at this time, I was planting out like crazy. This yr I've only planted out Zinnia (which are doing great)

today or tomorrow I'm going to plant out poppy which is still small, but I'm tired of waiting. I imagine that altho the sprout is tiny, below the earth the root is most likely long and strong, and will be able to hold its own in the garden.

today is sup'd to be 79 here, that after 2 days of rain hopefully will give the little sprouts a push.

The salvia that I ordered finally sprouted! That's everything, unless I sow more.

Bookmark   May 10, 2013 at 7:14AM
terrene(5b MA)

Congrats on your sprouts! Maybe winter has finally broken and Spring has arrived. Yippee - Spring is so great - hope you enjoy every second.

My first sprouts were a couple weeks later than usual this year, although it was early April, not early May. Usually it's late March. I am still getting sprouts and it's always exciting. Just today I had one Franklinia alatamaha and one Magnolia grandiflora sprout appear! To see at least a couple those tree seeds actually sprout after a long winter is great.

Bookmark   May 10, 2013 at 7:16PM
ellenrr(7a)

Congratulations on your tree sprouts Terrene.

Bookmark   May 12, 2013 at 6:51AM
caryltoo Z7/SE PA

You must have a ton of patience to do trees from seed, Terrene. I did a few blue spirea shrubs about three years ago. They might bloom this year after two years in the ground. And they're still kind of small compared to our other spirea, which grows like a weed. Maybe it's because the blue isn't a native variety here -- got the seeds from someone in Wisconsin.

Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 6:35AM
terrene(5b MA)

Yes trees and shrubs take a lot of patience. Some trees can take 15 years to bloom. I know that not all these guys will grow successfully, but that's okay too. It's fun to watch the process. And honestly I have no idea where I'd plant all of these anyway.

I think gardening and starting plants from seed teaches you some patience. When I'm not patient, I go to the nursery and get instant gratification! And not feel guilty about it because with WSing you can have lots of plants for little money. :)

Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 11:41AM
More Discussions
Unknown seedling in with foxgloves
I planted foxgloves (digitalis), which are the small...
sandyslopes z5 n. UT
Request: Please Share Your Sprout Pics!
My jugs are still buried under snow and I would love...
Mizzteek Z6 MA
Help with sedum sprouts.
I posted on the succulent forum, but got no help. I...
docmom_gw Zone 5 MI
Do you remember the 'red border' someone posted a few years ago?
I loved it and would love to try some amaranths. I...
thisbetty
NJ annua flowerl seeds
Good morning! Can I put out my seeds now? They are...
Karen Ulisse
Sponsored Products
Waterproof Warm White LED Neon, by the 20m Reel
EnvironmentalLights.com
Chatham Light Gold and Ivory Runner: 2 Ft. 3 In. x 11 Ft. Rug
$148.95 | Bellacor
Garden Faucet Wall Hook
| Dot & Bo
New Unique Hand Knotted Medallion Red Kazak Runner 3'x14' Persian Wool Rug H3366
BH Sun Inc
Dancing Fairy Pink Floor Memo Board On Easel
Classic Hostess
Feiss Wall Mounted Lighting & Sconces Aveline 1-Light Brushed Steel Wall
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™