'Peace and Love'

sandandsun(9a FL)December 19, 2013

NOT Love and Peace

The name of the rose - it does matter.

How would one ever find Peace and Love with the ubiquity of Love and Peace. Call it 'Bright as a Button' instead?

Not 'Love and Peace,' but 'Peace and Love.'

('Summer Wine' seems to be producing some interesting offspring)

Peace and love to all. Happy Holidays!

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Peace and Love'

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jacqueline9CA

Wow - I thought that one looked like a hulthemia hybrid, but nicer. I have had Summer WIne for 20 years (got it by mistake from Heirloom in Oregon when I ordered something else - very happy with it every since). So, I may look at Bright as a Button (yes, much better name).

Jackie

Bookmark   December 20, 2013 at 10:33PM
sandandsun(9a FL)

As we read in the HMF link below, one of the parents, 'Tigris,' is from Hulthemia breeding so the blotch is not surprisingly from hulthemia as we would immediately conclude.

I was wondering why since this is so that there was no mention of healthiness. I found this article, here , that translated says that 'Peace and Love' won the (SNHF) French National Horticultural Society's 2013 Grand Prize for beauty, health, and suitability for most (French) gardens.

For folks who would like to see hulthemia hybrids on this side of the pond, see Mr. Sproul's continuing work on his Eyeconic Series here .

Joyeux Noel!

Here is a link that might be useful: Christopher Warner

Bookmark   December 23, 2013 at 11:00AM
sandandsun(9a FL)

Meye heavens, I'm still trying to get used to all the name changing as a rose crosses borders. I'm beginning to think the rose industry gives MI-5 a good go in a who-has-more-aliases challenge. Of course, there's nothing cagey about rose names.

I shouldn't be too critical of such habits. After they've been in my garden a few years, roses become "this one," "that one," or "the one back there," etc. Hopefully, none will ever be known as "that old thing?"

Anyway, thank you to kstrong in the thread linked below for letting me know that if I want to find Peace and Love I have to get some Eyes on Me.

Here is a link that might be useful: European Posters?? -- Eyes on Me

Bookmark   December 30, 2013 at 3:42PM
sandandsun(9a FL)

Honestly, a rose has three (3) names already and is registered for exhibition in the US with a fourth but is being sold in North America with a fifth?

Let's see if we can follow this.

CHEsumsigns becomes 'Love and Peace' which becomes 'Bright as a Button (or was it the other way around?) which becomes 'Eyes on Me.' 'Eyes on Me' is now AKA (also known as) 'Raspberry Kiss.'

I guess the CIA said it didn't like the reference to MI-5 and insisted that North Americans prove they could have more aliases!

Actually with my brief web search, it appears that Mr. Warner's rose is now primarily known as 'Raspberry Kiss.' So, it would probably be more accurate to say that it is also known as any and all of the other names as well as a certain magazine's promotional name.

And it turns out that ole Amos Pettingill either thinks it is exceptional somehow or believes that it's actually white with deeper and deeper pink shading. No telling which.

Latest name change announcement in the thread linked below:

Here is a link that might be useful: Raspberry Kiss (Eyes on Me)

Bookmark   March 11, 2014 at 6:29PM
More Discussions
Reine de Violettes
I dug it up and moved it two years ago. It was own...
deervssteve
Just some pictures
Souvenir de la Malmaison on the left, Bishop's Palace...
ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
double yellow Lady Banksia
I was wondering if anyone had much experience with...
kaesgarden
What are these red spots on my rose canes and are they bad?
Hello everyone! It's spring time and my roses are all...
Rosecandy VA, zone 7
For Love of Roses
I received my order today from For Love of Roses. ...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
Sponsored Products
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Accent Rug: LA Rugs Smiley Angel Multi Colored 19
$11.97 | Home Depot
Phillips Pendant in White
$149.99 | Dot & Bo
12 Lights Pleated Watermelon Red Fabric Shade Brass Chandelier
ParrotUncle
Abba Orange Colorblock Twin Pull Chain Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
Bronze Tiffany-style Mission-design 2-light Flush Mount
Overstock.com