Mulberry trees allelopathic?

bluegirl_gwDecember 6, 2012

Just dug a great hole near one for a musk rose to climb up. But Peter Beales in Classic Roses (I think) warns they can poison roses. Really? I think the tree is the typical native TX white mulberry. Please advise.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
roseseek

I've gardened around both fruitless mulberry and the truly horrid paper mulberries they used extensively here before they developed the fruitless type. Neither appeared to ever "poison" anything, but their roots are SO invasive and SO vigorous, they invade any pots which sit on the ground and densely fill any disturbed soil anywhere within their root zones. I know of no way to prevent it. My dad used to have terrible problems getting the danged Bermuda grass to grow near the trunks of the fruitless mulberries in his back yard. It was definitely a case of such dense roots robbing all moisture from the soil rather than root toxicity. Kim

Bookmark   December 6, 2012 at 9:22PM
fig_insanity Z7a E TN

Mulberries are in the fig family, and yes, the whole gang is infamous for dense, matted, wandering roots. Beales may be speaking from experience, but what killed his roses was starvation and dehydration, not alleopathy. IF the mulberry is fairly young, and IF the rose is old enough, and a robust enough grower, it MIGHT survive. I planted a Francois Juranville (it's an epically robust, rapid growing wichuriana) to climb into a mulberry, and it killed the mulberry, lol. But Francois, maybe Mermaid, and a few other monsters are all I'd take a chance on growing up into a mature mulberry. I'm afraid your musk rose hasn't a chance.

Bookmark   December 6, 2012 at 10:52PM
bluegirl_gw

Dang. I really dug a GREAT hole, LOL. But thank you so much for the warnings. I actually planted the tree--it's a good distance from the house & the birds love the fruits. Yeah, I chopped some of those yeller roots as I was digging.

Old R. moschata will have to climb a cedar.

Bookmark   December 6, 2012 at 11:34PM
More Discussions
When to remove winter protection so it doesn't rot, basically?
After last year's killing Polar Vortex, this winter...
meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
What's wrong with my rose bush?
Can anyone please shed some light on what's wrong with...
alyong
New record!
OK, all you snow freaks, you got your new record here...
seil zone 6b MI
Please Get To The Huntington Quickly!!
Please try to get to the Huntington in the next few...
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
Strawberry Hill
Hi everybody :) I'm thinking of buying Strawberry Hill....
rosecanadian
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™