I should have used protection

j0nd03October 16, 2013

Just a reminder:

It's about that time of the year to erect some deer deterrent around our babies

This post was edited by j0nd03 on Wed, Oct 16, 13 at 21:36

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
toronado3800 Zone 6 StLouis(6)

My trees are a bit larger now. I am going with windchimes and fishing bells hung from branches.

Wonder if I can catch a good buck with some twine and a smooth barked acer rubrum as bait. My buddies who are getting ready to spend their vacations sitting in tree stands will all be jealous.

Bookmark   October 16, 2013 at 8:25PM
krnuttle

My solution to the deer problem is to plant as many plants as I can afford, on the idea that the bigger selection at the salad bar, no one plant will be damaged significantly.

Besides I enjoy seeing the deer in the yard. The young fawns are so cute playing tag in the yard.

Bookmark   October 16, 2013 at 9:10PM
j0nd03

This was a $10 cheapie I picked up on a whim this spring so no big loss. I had planned on putting up my deer deterrents Friday on my day off but the buck apparently had to get his rub in first!

The 4 loblolly pines naturally occuring on my property all show a history of rub damage but have overcome the problem. Not so for this little one since it is girdled all the way around for a good 1' in height. I expected them to target this tree, just not quite so soon.

Good luck to the rest of you!

I used to like watching the deer until they top pruned over a dozen of my babies the first year I started planting as well as rubbing every tree 1" caliper on the whole darn property!!! I only see them once or twice a year but they leave sign year round. Sneaky bastards...

Oh and of course they leave all the 1" caliper oak/hickory/cherry/ash saplings in the woods untouched......!!!!!!!.....

Bookmark   October 16, 2013 at 9:34PM
Dzitmoidonc(6)

I grow Poncirus trifoliata. Grows fast, makes hellish thorns. I cut year old branches of the Poncirus and hang them in the trees I want to protect. Use some around the base for rabbits, tie them if I have to in the branches to prevent deer browsing and buck rubs. Some people swear the Poncirus is a useless tree, I think this hardy citrus should be used for deer hedges.

Here is a link that might be useful: Poncirus spines

Bookmark   October 16, 2013 at 9:43PM
sam_md

I like the way Dzit. thinks, here's my Poncirus, never been touched by deer.

Bookmark   October 16, 2013 at 9:56PM
More Discussions
My Yoshino cherry tree hasn't bloomed yet
I live in GA and have a Yoshino cherry tree that I've...
cherryman
Would windex overspray hurt dormant oak or metasequoia?
Was cleaning the windows outside with Windex today....
hairmetal4ever
Bare Roots and the Ticking Clock
I'm having bare root trees delivered to my apartment...
lone_elm_z6
neighbor's willow tree (please help)
How do I convince my neighbor to get rid of the willow...
penaddict
Is it possible to establish a leader on this tree?
I am looking for suggestion on how to make this into...
longtee81
Sponsored Products
Font o' Fire Sculptural Firebowl
FRONTGATE
Justice Design Group GLA-8706 - Aero 6 Light Bath Bar - Tapered Cylinder Shade -
$720.00 | Hayneedle
Brella Chrome Three-Light Square Canopy Bath Fixture with Bicolor Orange and Pin
$360.00 | Bellacor
Corona Chair & Ottoman Reproduction-White - 100% Italian Leather
IFN Modern
Beige Shantung Pleated Empire Shade 3x6x4.5 (Clip-On)
$70.00 | Lamps Plus
Arteriors Home - Canton Large Cloche - DD2053
Great Furniture Deal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™