Two WInter Sowing Questions

mary_maxMay 1, 2013

I have jugs that are ready to be planted out. They are full! I am curious how many chunks I should get from a full jug to get some nice full plants. In other words how many parts do you divide the milk jug contents into if it is a full jug? Also what is the best temperatures for planting out? Does 70 sound too warm? I just want to put them in the ground, compost a bit, and then water and be on to the next one. Lots of planting out. Thanks so much.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
docmom_gw Zone 5 MI(5)

There really is no perfect answer to your question. Some folk separate out each individual plant! And many of us end up planting the entire container because we get so overwhelmed with planting out. It also depends on what plants you have and how big they are expected to get. I know that's a wimpy answer, but it really does depend on individual circumstances.

Martha

Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 6:09AM
mary_max

Oh I LOVE your answer! I think I will do just that. Plant out the entire container! At least the plant will not get lost planted with other growing perennials. I did do that (plant the entire container as one plant) last year with a few annuals and it made a beautiful site. Very full! Makes planting out a lot easier. LOL Well I am out the door now to begin my task! Oh lovely winter sowing! Thanks for your answer Martha!

Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 1:19PM
ladyrose65

I actually sow each and every little plant, because not all of them will survive. One thing I've learned it to pay attention to plant height and width, because one plant can overshadow another where the weaker one will not survive.

Bookmark   May 4, 2013 at 1:47PM
terrene(5b MA)

Mary_max, you can plant out hunks any size you want. Some people cut the container up like a pan of brownies and let the strongest survive. Why not experiment a little? You can observe the results and see what works best.

I usually plant seedlings individually, so I've learned to sow fewer seeds in each container, so there's not too many. But HOS works well for a lot of plants, especially those that naturally grow in a bushy clump, such as Sweet Alyssum, Snapdragons, California poppies, etc. This year I sowed a flat of mesclun mix and plan to plant those out in little HOS.

Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 10:09AM
caryltoo Z7/SE PA

I only plant in clumps when the seeds were tiny and the seedlings are so packed together that it would be impossible to separate -- portulacus and poppies are two that come to mind. With larger seeds I space out when I sow then plant individually -- think zinnia, tomatoes, sunflowers, etc.

Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 6:30AM
More Discussions
Is it too late?
Is it too late to do any WS? I figured I'd use moist...
ms_minnamouse
A different category for winter sowing!
You may not think of cacti as needing winter sowing,...
madabouteu
OK, Now that I have sprouts what do I do next
Should I water the little baby sprouts? When do I...
smokey28777
Extreme cold predicted and my seeds have sprouted
I have WS cabbage sprouting here in Zone 7, but Sunday...
coffeehaus
Official Winter Sowing Count Zone Wars 2014-2015 #1:
This is the first thread in the official Winter Sowing...
ladyrose65
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™