Plant out complete! (pic heavy)

katy_bug(z8a GA)May 23, 2012

I made it my mission to hurry up and get my seedlings out before I go on vacation and I am officially done! I WS'ed 50 containers and got plants out of 29. My germination was better than that but I lost 10 or so to dry-out and bugs. My hope this first year is to renovate my front flower beds. Thanks to this forum and the newbie pack where the majority of these babies came from!

Before:

After:

Dug up the dying boxwoods, put out lots and lots of compost

Planted jasmine to train onto the fence

Put out lots of wintersowing babies!

A few of the babies:

Catmint

White coneflowers

Salvia

Lupine

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ladyrose65

Wow...! That is really nice set up. You have a lot of space. Good luck with your new babies!

Bookmark   May 23, 2012 at 6:36PM
northforker

So good that you took the "before" picture, the "just planted picture". Now when you take and add the "growing" and "flowering!" pictures, you will have a complete record of your success. You'll be so hooked that in fall you'll be writing to ask....so how do I collect seed from these plants to grow them next year?

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bookmark   May 23, 2012 at 7:33PM
northerner_on(Z5A ONCanada)

Congratultions!!! You have given your seedlings ample space to grow which is a mistake I still make. You will be amazed at the difference one summer makes. Emjoy!!

Bookmark   May 24, 2012 at 2:43AM
terrene(5b MA)

That is a big improvement in your foundation bed! I like the little fence/trellis, hope that Jasmine doesn't grow too tall.

Personally I would separate out the Echinacea and Salvia seedlings, although it's not absoluately necessary, you have several good healthy plants there. Some seedlings do well growing in a HOS, some do better when they have their own space.

Now look at all that grass and sun you have to make new beds. I am very jealous (have large trees on my lot)!

Bookmark   May 24, 2012 at 8:10AM
oliveoyl3

Great garden spaces & lots of room for lovely plants

Have you considered soaker hoses for watering during dry spells? They make it much easier even if you plan to make your rounds & hand water them. On days when I don't have time to go around & water each one I turn on the soakers & a timer I put in my apron pocket. Sometimes I set 2 timers for 3 hours, so I don't forget & waste water.

I can't wait to see your gardens in flower.
Corrine

Bookmark   June 1, 2012 at 10:49AM
countrycarolyn(6-7nwTN)

Like eyelashes on a face!! To echo above, I love seeing before and after. I can't wait to see more!!

Bookmark   June 1, 2012 at 4:59PM
More Discussions
A different category for winter sowing!
You may not think of cacti as needing winter sowing,...
madabouteu
Official Winter Sowing Count Zone Wars 2014-2015 #2:
Game of Zone 2014-2015 Link:This is the continuation...
ladyrose65
how long for annuals to sprout?
I moved and cannot find my records from last year....
ellenr22 - NJ - Zone 6b/7a
Green mildew on soil of WS containers?
Last year, I WSd in styrofoam cups that were placed...
gardengrlz
Don't like new format
Hi everyone. I don't like the new format. Glad I've...
brightmoregirl
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™