Butternut and Heartnut spacing....

dirtslinger2(6)October 1, 2009

I ended up planting several grafted (named) cultivars about 25' apart on centers from one another. I know their final size will create trouble.

But... with all these varieties, nut quantity will not be that important, so will pruning be sufficient?

Moving them is always tough on these, however I will if I must.

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seramas

If the row run north--south, and you have no other trees that shades them they will do fine, be sure to feed and water them properly.

Farms that grow these type of walnuts (zone 6) plant them as close as 28' and get great production. I planted 3 Northern Pecan (Carya illinoensis) this year and used time release (2-year) fertalizer tabs designed for nut/fruit trees and they have grown 2'.

The following link explains how to properly care/prune nut trees--about 1/2 way down the page.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to groww...

Bookmark   October 1, 2009 at 10:05PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lucky_p

slinger,
You're probably OK.
About 9 years ago, I transplanted several hundred northern pecan & black walnut seedlings into a CRP riparian bufferstrip area along the eastern edge of our farm - about 7 acres total. I put them at 20 ft spacings, in two rows 30 ft apart. Had intended to come back and topwork every-other-one to named varieties and remove less-desirable seedlings when canopies began to crowd. I've not gotten around to grafting all of them, and some of the BW seedlings are now large enough to bear nuts. Even at 20 ft spacings, it's still going to be several years before canopies touch, and with open space on one or both sides, I may give removal of ungrafted seedlings second thought.

Bookmark   October 2, 2009 at 12:12PM
More Discussions
Maple, Beech, Oak - proximity to natural gas line?
I will be planting the following trees at these distances...
johniferous
Destructive trimming of trees. HELP!!!!
Our neighborhood association board has been going crazy...
beachem
Ilex x 'Scepter' -- anyone growing this?
Is anyone growing Ilex x 'Scepter'? It just looks like...
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA
need help pruning trees
I have a Kentucky Coffee Tree (gymnocladus dioicus)...
Dave Varel
Growing Hickory and Hican for Nut Production (3)
Continuing from part 1 and 2 (maximum posts reached) Good...
gardener365
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™