premature cherry tree leaf drop?

amandaj(TN zone7)October 22, 2010

I haven't noticed this before. All of my cherry trees dropped most of their leaves about a month ago. There are only a few leaves left on the ends of some branches. I also noticed mushrooms growing in the mulch near some of them. It hasn't been unusually dry and I've watered them well a few times when it was. Is this normal?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
subtropix

Much of the eastern half of the country just went through a very hot and ARID growing season. I say it's drought related. Saw some trees dropping leaves in August around here. It was just a harsh growing season--especially for trees and shrubs not fully established in the ground. Wouldn't worry about mushrooms unless they were actually growing on the tree.

Bookmark   October 23, 2010 at 7:12AM
dan_staley(5b/SS 2b AHS 6-7)

Yes, weather.

Dan

Bookmark   October 23, 2010 at 10:30AM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

i have a dozen 60 to 80 foot p. serotina.. furniture wood cherry ... and 10 weeks of drought and extreme heat this summer ...

i HAVE NO CLUE WHERE THE LEAVES WENT ... i did notice them gone a few weeks early .. i dont see them laying around all that much ... guess they blew away ...

a lot of my oaks simply went brown this year.. no red/scarlet ...

as above.. just a bad summer ...

ken

Bookmark   October 23, 2010 at 2:12PM
amandaj(TN zone7)

Thanks everyone. I guess I'll try to stop worrying. I thought I had watered them so much during the dry periods that they wouldn't know it had been dry. I didn't know if they'd make it without leaves this fall.

Bookmark   October 23, 2010 at 11:41PM
dan_staley(5b/SS 2b AHS 6-7)

I thought I had watered them so much during the dry periods that they wouldn't know it had been dry.

Of course they "know". Their evapotranspiration increases, changing their metabolism.

Dan

Bookmark   October 24, 2010 at 11:28AM
More Discussions
How far should Sassafras and Blue Spruce be from the road?
I have a tentative plan I started on in Spring for...
edlincoln
500 ft Privacy Fence/Screen trees advise
I have a very large property line that I would like...
zrodimel
Is this diseased?
This is a new young tree I purchased from Ebay. I planted...
rubyhum
Girdled Tap Root?? What to do??
Sorry if this is wordy, the tree experts might be able...
pricklypearsatx
Who has snow?
Post your snowy garden pics. (Locally, almost none...
subtropix
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™