Any Z4 success with Cornus controversa "Variegata"

basic(Z4a)October 31, 2013

Anyone? Please...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
toronado3800 Zone 6 StLouis(6)

This seems like a pretty rare tree still, even the main species tree.

FWIW, My main species tree has been slowly changing colors for a month now and still has some green. It gets a lot of sun and shows just a little heat and drought stress so I would guess the regular version could handle your version of summer with flying colors.

Good luck and post pictures!

Bookmark   November 1, 2013 at 9:54AM
Campanula UK Z8

less rare in the UK but Z4 would be pushing it well beyond the limits. Even in Z8, it prefers a sheltered position.
The RHS lists it as H5 - or equal to Z7a -6 (at a stretch). Suspect even the plain green would struggle.....but, if you have a microclimate, out of cold drying winds, it is likely to be root hardy with a good heaping of leafmould around the base.

Bookmark   November 1, 2013 at 10:14AM
toronado3800 Zone 6 StLouis(6)

MOBOT lists the species as zone 5 hardy. My species tree is perhaps 7 feet (2 meters) tall so watering it during last summer's record heat and drought was easy enough. During the record heat and drought mine had some droopy leaves which rebounded nicely after watering. It was a BAD summer though. My metasequoia lost 90% of its foliage and a good number of stressed trees died.

Our last couple winters have seen 0 degree F temps, zone 7 I guess, but nothing extreme that way. This year we had some late snow which did not seem to bother it.

Capanula, is the variegated form that much more tender that it is only zone 8 hardy? That is barely below freezing, right? I assume it tolerates sun less well but that is a summer problem.

Here is a link that might be useful: MOBOT

Bookmark   November 1, 2013 at 1:01PM
More Discussions
What does it mean if a tree is "vigorous"?
For example, "This tree tends to be less vigorous...
tlbean2004
Destructive trimming of trees. HELP!!!!
Our neighborhood association board has been going crazy...
beachem
Recent visit to Hirosaki Castle - Maples and Ginkgo
Video link: http://youtu.be/paMIiTiS2OU Japanese Maples...
jujujojo_gw
500 ft Privacy Fence/Screen trees advise
I have a very large property line that I would like...
zrodimel
beating trees with a bat
it is said.. it will stimulate a struggling tree to...
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™