hakuro nishiki tree standard

cantelopejoe(7)October 7, 2013

Greetings! I am not 100% sure i picked the correct forum but I recently purchased a Salix integra 'Hakuro-nishik' for a cove in my front yard. It in centered in a corner between my sidewalk and my house. I live in zone 7b. The tree is 5'-7' away from the foundation. It is about 30' from any water lines and about 80' from out septic tank (lines are in opposite direction from tree). Any concerns with the tree. I understand it is grafted on standard willow stock. Also, it is in partial sun.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

It is about 30' from any water lines and about 80' from out septic tank

==>> whats your base soil ...

and i dont understated the above ... water lines????

if you mean the leach field... i would think 30 feet is pretty good for this size plant ... 80 feet is better ... and probably overkill ...

water lines should be presumed to be water tight ... supplying water to the house ... they are not really in the equation ...

but leach lines are perforated ... and those might be an issue... but at 30 or 80 feet.. on a smallish shrub .. i wouldnt worry ...

soil matters as to whether the water dissipates quickly.. rather than spreading before soaking in ..... but i still think you have the distance ...

gold start for taking the variable into consideration ... but i THINK ... key word there ... there is nothing to WORRY about ...

go for it

ken

Bookmark   October 8, 2013 at 7:32AM
cantelopejoe(7)

I live in East TN so the soil is mostly clay BUT this guy is in a cove that is mostly well drained topsoil and some clay about 2-3' down with 3" of mulch over all of that. I am about 80' from the septic tank and the leach lines are even farther away from the plant. probably 90'. The tree is in the front of my house and the septic is in the back. I really worry more about the foundation because many people say that willows are notorious for causing damage to water lines and foundations. I have also uploaded a photo to give you a visual.

Bookmark   October 8, 2013 at 8:22AM
cantelopejoe(7)

Sorry. 3 inches of mulch not 3 feet. :-)

Bookmark   October 8, 2013 at 8:23AM
JGramling92(4)

nishiki willow tree form plants grow very quickly and spread roots very fast as well. a 3 gallon NW has pushed its roots over 3 feet within months of planting (in the summer heat, and in inadequate soil, mind you). With good maintenance (pruning to shape to control size) where you have put it will look great, even allowing you to let it fill in as much as you'd please. i wouldnt worry much about the roots.

Bookmark   October 9, 2013 at 6:22PM
More Discussions
Pruning yaupon holly as tree
The builder put in 15 gal (I think) yaupon holly shrubs...
Meghan Mccarthy
3 trees, 3 options...your thoughts on the best route
As you may have read in my other posts, I will be planting...
johniferous
What does it mean if a tree is "vigorous"?
For example, "This tree tends to be less vigorous...
tlbean2004
Girdled Tap Root?? What to do??
Sorry if this is wordy, the tree experts might be able...
pricklypearsatx
Beech tree in NJ
I am in the process of re-foresting my backyard with...
johniferous
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™