I've got growth!

lizbest1(5)May 5, 2013

Watered my containers today and had around 50 with some growth! Still just teeny tiny but I was beginning to doubt......Now we just need some real spring weather here in CO instead of snow every week so more will sprout! Ended up with around 450 containers (30 more sown after May1) so I'm still barely at 10% germination right now but we haven't had any nights even in the 40s yet, more sprouts to come....

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
caryltoo Z7/SE PA

Congrats. Hope spring comes your way soon. We just started warming up here a couple of weeks ago, and it's still in the 40s most nights. My tomatoes don't like it -- only a few have formed true leaves even though they sprouted a month ago.

Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 6:32AM
northforker

Liz - -450 containers will be A LOT of plants to get in the ground! You must be so excited but I caution you not to spend too much time admiring your darlings as they appear (and they will!!) but instead use this too cold spring to make sure your beds are ready for the massive plant out.

Ask me how I got this wise :)

I love watching the sprouts pop up much better than raking, weeding and edging!)

Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 10:48PM
terrene(5b MA)

Congrats on finally getting sprouts! As I recall, you were the individual winner in the container count with 420 containers.

I agree with Nan, my winter-sowing eyes were always bigger than the garden beds I had ready for all those seedlings. At first you want to save every sprout, but then you learn to be ruthless, cull the weak ones, plunk and run, expect a certain mortality out in the garden (lack of water, slugs, or poor genetics). And occasionally a container or 2 never got planted.

WSing makes it easy to grow more though. :)

Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 9:00AM
More Discussions
Brrrrr! Pretty cold out there, too cold?
I just started winter sowing and have my first containers...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Extreme cold predicted and my seeds have sprouted
I have WS cabbage sprouting here in Zone 7, but Sunday...
coffeehaus
seeds already started?
I've started several seeds in paper cups and put in...
sorie6
promix ultimate potting mix for winter sowing?
Is this kind suitable for winter sowing, since it contains...
pink_petals
Newbie question. Would this work?
I have a really large clear plastic bag that I could...
christacharlene
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™