Dictamnus alba

drippy(7bAL)May 3, 2014

Wintersowed more than 5 years ago (lost track), trotted from a residence or two in a pot, planted on this property 4 years ago - finally in bloom!

Don't give up, folks! I also have an opuntia cactus I grew from seed that is really taking off this year, and my 3 year old baptisia is about to bloom, too.

Wintersowing rocks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
terrene(5b MA)

Oh I just ws'd this and I got sprouts! Got some seeds from a lady on the butterfly forum - aka D. fraxinella or Gas plant and it is a host plant for the Giant Swallowtail butterfly.

Guess it will be an exercise in patience waiting for this one to bloom. That's okay, I've been waiting SIX years for the white Baptisia to bloom. It probably would have bloomed by now, but I kept it in small pots for a couple years initially. Couldn't decide where to plant it. Hopefully it hasn't been munched by voles and that it's gotten big enough to finally bloom this year!

Bookmark   May 4, 2014 at 12:21AM
tiffy_z5_6_can(5/6)

WOW! Tried that one for years and could never get a sprout. It is just simply beautiful!!!

Bookmark   May 4, 2014 at 9:54AM
mnwsgal 4 MN(4)

I bought a young plant and read that they can take seven years to bloom. It was close to that but so worth the wait. Now I am waiting for the seedling I got from ws seeds collected from it several years ago to grow into a blooming plant.

Also have a white baptisia from ws seed in a pot for the same reason, Terrene. My goal this year is to get all potted plants and holding bed plants into garden beds.

Bookmark   May 4, 2014 at 3:35PM
More Discussions
Can I winter sow Salvia 'Clary Mix'? Or do I need a greenhouse?
Does anyone have any experience wintersowing this species?...
ladyrose65
Official Winter Sowing Count Zone Wars 2014-2015 #1:
This is the first thread in the official Winter Sowing...
ladyrose65
Milk Cartons (not plastic jugs)
Can I use milk cartons for winter sowing or is the...
luigiwu
Winter sowing in cold frame?
Has anyone used a cold frame for winter sowing?
lmconne
Winter Sown Peppers (Tomatos)
I tried winter sowing last year for the first time...
midmented
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™