Mystery seedling I'd

LittleLithop(4a)May 10, 2013

This is my first year winter sowing and even with the late spring we are having I am very happy with the amount of seedlings I have. I will be doing this every year, it's all very exciting!!! I hope someone can help me id this little mystery seedling I have coming up in a few if my containers. It already has a few leaves so I hope that helps. I didn't think I was that careless with the seeds, but it seems to be coming up next to seedlings that look nothing like it. Could it be a weed from the soil? I bought some cheaper stuff that is working fine. It's the little one to the right. Maybe they stuck to my hands when I was planting because they are all over each container. Thanks for any help!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
LittleLithop(4a)

Here it is in the other container next to my lupines so I know it's not intentional. (The two furthest right seedlings)

Bookmark   May 10, 2013 at 11:28PM
northerner_on(Z5A ONCanada)

Sorry I can't help id these little plants, but when I need an id I go to the site called 'Name that Plant'. It is on this forum and they are great. Hope this link works:

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/namegal/

Bookmark   May 11, 2013 at 11:38AM
LittleLithop(4a)

Thank you!

Bookmark   May 11, 2013 at 2:08PM
caryltoo Z7/SE PA

Are your containers open? If so I'd bet that they're weeds that blew in. I get a fair number of those once the container is open.

Bookmark   May 12, 2013 at 8:26AM
LittleLithop(4a)

The containers are closed but I found out from a more knowledgable person that they are weeds. Stupid cheap soil at menards! Last time I buy that stuff. I'm not even sure what brand but I do remember it was in a red and white bag. Never again will I buy the super cheap junk. It's not even in my open containers but growing (like a weed) in my closed containers I just don't get it!? The conditions must have been just right. Yuck!!!

Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 1:35PM
caryltoo Z7/SE PA

The weeds are hardy, that's for sure. They always seem to be up and thriving well before the perennials break dormancy.

Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 3:34PM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

The seedling in the top picture looks a lot like Chenopodium album aka Goosefoot.

Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 4:59PM
vera_eastern_wa(5a-5b)

Yeah Flora, I was thinking the same thing....I know it here as Lambsquarters. It's edible green you know :)

Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 5:07PM
More Discussions
seeds already started?
I've started several seeds in paper cups and put in...
sorie6
Can you re-use the potting soil from last year?
I have some milk jugs left from last year. Can I use...
jd101
Where did everyone go?
I know lots of folks are on the FB WS group but where...
indianaplantlover
easiest annuals to winter sow
so i have all my perennials out, and i'm beginning...
gardendaydreamer
Help please - I need a photo of milk jugs in snow
Hi everyone, I work for a non-profit organization and...
diggerdee zone 6 CT
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™