They're All Gone
In the last few months, I lost 75% of my WS seedings to poor drainage (my fault), dog rampage, wind, the cold spring, and an April blizzard. Last week, I spent hours planting out the survivors only to get hit this week by a major hail storm and flooding. Everything is gone. $200 in seed and soil, 6 months of anticipation, hundreds of little seedlings. I cried and cussed, then carefully put the containers away and inventoried the leftover seeds, ready to start again next winter.
1. Frozen bags of damp planting mix take days to thaw inside. Store them in the garage.
2.Punch lots of drainage holes in the bottom of the holding trays. Easier to add water than take it away.
3. Don't set the trays at dog level. He'll plow right through them when the snow drifts.
4. Take the lids off gradually, not all at once on the first day the robins sing.
5. Prepare for those 3:00 am 60 mph winds.
6. 400? Really? What was I going to do with 400 bunches of seedlings?
7. Keep reading the WS forum!