rooting pots/air pots

Campanula UK Z8November 2, 2013

I have a heap of these, left over from an early adopter friend, currently folded up and taking up space in my allotment shed. As I am also sowing many trees for our new woods, should I be using these pots? What sort of potting medium. Should I germinate the seeds in them (I usually just put them in ordinary deep pots and wait). Any input? Have avoided them so far because I suspect, without a drip system, irrigation might be more of an issue than I would normally be prepared to contend with.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

you might want to try this in the conifer forum also ...

i know.. somewhere.. this was discussed recently.. probably buried deep in some post with an unrelated title ....

but i dont understand why you have gotten no replies..

conifers are trees... regardless of what seed you are trying ... so which forum doenst matter ...

ken

Bookmark   November 4, 2013 at 9:10AM
jocelynpei

Campanula, I just came from a nut producers' meeting this weekend. A commercial nursery there grows his trees in root maker pots and he likes them. The alternative, for him, was a nursery bed and then digging them at sale size and leaving a lot of the roots behind. For a home grower, such as myself, milk jugs are fine. There was no difference in size between his trees at the same age as mine. I will not be leaving roots in the grow out bed either, as I will just cut the milk jugs and plant the whole root mass. I may have to uncoil the tap root from the bottom of the pots, but this only takes a moment for each one and allows me to plant at any time of the year as the roots are long enough to reach water. I don't have to wait for the fall rains, or figure out how to carry enough water once a week on very hilly, very forested land. I do have to dig a deeper hole, but I don't mind, since I am close to my woods and can plant a few trees each trip. It will depend on how you want to handle things and how much rain you can expect after planting. Roots formed in rootmaker pots can collect water from the top few inches of soil, very well, but are not long enough to establish in open ground without regular watering.

Bookmark   November 4, 2013 at 12:46PM
edlincoln(6A)

Logically it seems to me they would be good if you tend to over-water plants, if you want to grow trees as big as possible before putting them in the ground, or if you want to keep trees inside this winter and plant them in the Spring.

If you tend to underwater and plan to transplant the trees well before they outgrow the pot, I don't think it matters.

Bookmark   November 8, 2013 at 7:02PM
More Discussions
Trees for wet heavy clay soil?
Trees for wet heavy clay soil? The soil is sort of...
nerys54
Getting below freezing temps tonight, will it hurt my peach tree in bl
I'm in Dalles GA. temps will drop into the high 20's...
abykatz22
So happy that this is the 1st spring where I don't have......
Vole damage. Burying our fences underground 6 inches...
ilovemytrees
Control Freak
On my way into B'more this morning I saw these Edgeworthia...
sam_md
Autumn Brilliance Serviceberry or White Fringe Tree?
They're both adorable! Looking at both of these to...
ilovemytrees
Sponsored Products
19" Floral Copper Pedestal Planter - Antique Copper
Signature Hardware
Uttermost Preserved Boxwood Two Oval Domes
Beyond Stores
Campania International Exeter Cast Stone Planter - P-621-AL
$89.99 | Hayneedle
15-Piece Fondue Set
$34.99 | zulily
18 Ga Sink 2 Strainers 2 Grids Cutting Board
PLFixtures
Mini Agave and White Planter Set (Set of 3)
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™