I'm so disappointed
Turns out many of the seedlings I carefully nurtured since March, then planted in the garden, and faithfully watered, shaded, fed -- were weeds!
I had posted earlier that some soil I had bought had weed seeds. But I thot I had identified all the weeds. So when something else sprouted I thot it was my seedlings: salvia, marigold, gaillardia...
Now that they are in the garden growing I realize - no, they are weeds.
So double disappointment - I have a lot fewer flowers that I thot I had, and I feel like a jerk for carefully watching over weeds.
I blame the place that sold me the soil - in 8 years or so of WS'ing, I've never had this happen. :(