Looking to transplant small Tulip Poplars, advice?

barefoot76(z7 VA)November 12, 2007

Anyone have any advice as to timing, etc. for transplanting small 3'-6' Tulip Poplars? We're trying to begin 'reforesting' a couple of old farm fields and would like to help this process with about 20 transplants from other parts of the property.

Thanks as always.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
esh_ga

Water them well before digging to avoid having any root ball fall apart due to dryness. Put the freshly dug plant in a bag to transport it.

You could pre-dig the new holes first, that would help. This is a good time of year to do it. Keep them watered over the winter if it doesn't rain enough.

Bookmark   November 12, 2007 at 7:28PM
wisconsitom

Esh, not claiming superior knowledge to your own here, but isn't tulip tree one that works better in spring? It being a magnolia family member, I was led to believe that this was the case. Or maybe that's just in more northerly climes like my own.

+oM

Bookmark   November 12, 2007 at 9:52PM
quirkyquercus

Yes, transplant this tree in the spring. You'll be glad you did.

Bookmark   November 12, 2007 at 11:38PM
esh_ga

Being in Georgia (zone 7), I dig up anything at any time and it all works fine. Perhaps in Virginia it would be better to wait, I don't really know.

Bookmark   November 13, 2007 at 6:16AM
gardener_sandy

Two articles from KY Cooperative Extension suggest that poplar should be transplanted after leaf fall in late fall. Here are links to the articles which contain lots of good suggestions for successful transplanting.

http://ces.ca.uky.edu/Grayson/anr/fallgoodtimetoplant.htm

http://ces.ca.uky.edu/lewis/anr/ANR%20News%20Articles.htm

Bookmark   November 13, 2007 at 9:33AM
novicegreenthumb_200(9)

I am in southeast texas and planted two 3' poplars back in May. One has since died and the other has about 5 suckers at the bottom. Can anyone give me some advice on how to keep this one alive? The top of the tree is dead. The only thing living now are the little suckers at the bottom. Are these trees normally hard to take care of or is my zone just too hot for them? I water every day (at least 2 gallons)?

Bookmark   June 28, 2008 at 1:26PM
lucky_p

You know, I see these recommendations about fall being a great time to plant trees & shrubs - and if they're container-grown or b&b specimens, I have no doubt that that's the case.
But, digging, bare-rooting, and transplanting seedlings may(or may not) be a very different proposition. I've also seen recommendations from folks I trust implicity that fall is NOT the ideal time to dig and transplant a number of species, like oaks/hickories/pecans.
I just don't know - but I'm gonna do a small-scale experiment this fall and transplant some sizeable oaks & pecans after leaf fall, in hopes that they can get a root system established before the summer drought season sets in, 'cause they'll be in a location where irrigation won't be a possibility.

Bookmark   June 29, 2008 at 11:07AM
More Discussions
need suggestions for trees
looking for ornamental small evergreen shade tree for...
sherylraeh
How do I kill a very large tree discreetly?
I have a very large tree in my yard that just has to...
hpb1963
Spring pics
Couple spring pics on a rare mild day: Chinese elm...
beng12
Prunus mume are blooming in the South.
Pictures taken on February 3, 2015 at Wuhan (capital...
jujujojo_gw
American elms seeds wanted
When we were discussing pruning the damaged elm, I...
jocelynpei
Sponsored Products
DoggyRide Mini Bike Trailer
$199.00 | FRONTGATE
Trigo 36-Bottle Storage Rack - Antique Oak - IDF-AC252
$469.99 | Hayneedle
Antique Sailing Ships V
$399.00 | FRONTGATE
Designers Fountain 84503 Cordova 3 Light Bath Bar in Chrome Finish - 84503-CH
$167.50 | Hayneedle
Calligaris | Planet Small Glass Table - Quick Ship
YLiving.com