Do you think this maple tree will survive transplanting? (pics)

wilsocnNovember 1, 2011

I have posted a few times here seeking advice on transplanting maples from the woods behind my house to my yard (thanks to everyone that offered advice btw).

I thought today would be a good day to do it since the weather has turned warm again and nice weather has been forecast for the next few days. I had a nice little sugar maple all picked out that sits in the midst of a cedar thicket and I went to dig and immediately realized that it wasnt going to happen. Roots were completely blanketing the soil and I could barely get the shovel in. This little tree was about 3' tall.

So I went to option b - a nice little maple that sat in the woods in a clearing. It is about 80" tall but sort of lanky thanks to not receiving much sunlight so I thought I would be able to dig it up. This was my first time transplanting a tree and I guess I sort of screwed up a little bit. I ended up taking the tree out without any sort of root ball and not too many roots to speak of either. :(

Its planted now but I really don't have a clue if this little tree has a chance of making it or not. So I have a couple of questions: 1) does it have enough roots to have a decent shot at making it and 2)when will I know if it is going to die? Will it be next spring since it is entering dormancy now?

I did not let the roots get dry btw. It was exposed to open air for about 15 minutes I would say and I sprayed it down while it laid in the shade and I watered the hole pretty well. I sure hope it lives because it already looks really nice in the yard.

Thanks everyone

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Kept moist it should be fine.

Bookmark   November 1, 2011 at 9:15PM
j0nd03

Yep more roots would ease transplant along BUT mulch and adequate moistue should be enough for the baby to live. Don't expect much next year but I would bet the year after it will grow more than you expect =)

John

Bookmark   November 1, 2011 at 9:42PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

It looks like that hole is about 6 inches or more too deep, but that could simply be the angle of the image.

Bookmark   November 1, 2011 at 10:25PM
wilsocn

Thanks for the input everyone. Yeah I think its just the angle of the photo. I had someone hold the tree so that the roots where just touching the bottom of the hole and I back filled and the dirt actually stopped at almost the exact depth that it was planted in the woods. I just used the darkened and soil stained bark as a guide.

Man it looks so good in its new home. I wanna see birds landing in that thing next year! Would a good watering once a week be enough for it and should I stop watering when the temps fall below 32?

Thanks everyone!

Bookmark   November 1, 2011 at 11:03PM
More Discussions
Temporary Potting Small Trees - Central Florida
I have a small Magnolia tree, about 2 1/2' tall, and...
sunshinerivera
My Yoshino cherry tree hasn't bloomed yet
I live in GA and have a Yoshino cherry tree that I've...
cherryman
Can anyone ID this wood? (firewood)
It burns very slowly. It's perfect for nighttime, and...
laura242424
American elms seeds wanted
When we were discussing pruning the damaged elm, I...
jocelynpei
Control Freak
On my way into B'more this morning I saw these Edgeworthia...
sam_md
Sponsored Products
Zig Semi-Flush Ceiling Light
$290.00 | Bellacor
J&M Furniture Palermo Dresser w/ Mirror in White Lacquer & Chrome
Beyond Stores
Wyndham Collection Bathroom Amare 60 in. Double Vanity in Glossy White with
Home Depot
Domusworks Geo Neutral Decorative Pillow - DM11
$71.99 | Hayneedle
Americh Wright 7234 Tub (72" x 34" x 22")
Modern Bathroom
Badger Basket Folding Hamper/Storage Bin - Pink with White Polka Dots - 21000
$24.99 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™