yellow maple leaves

v1rtu0s1ty(5a)November 2, 2008

Today, we went to Plainfield, IL to help a friend lay down the sod. I saw a lot of beautiful maple trees. All the leaves were all goldish yellow. I didn't see any touch of red, nor orange. It was pure yellow. It was gorgeous!

What type of maple trees are they? And there there any maple tree that turns goldish yellow that is not wide(maybe 20' wide is acceptable when mature)?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lou_midlothian_tx(z8 DFW, Tx)

I know that shantung maple can turn pure yellow but I doubt that's what you saw. I've seen southern sugar maple turn pure yellow over here in Texas.

Bookmark   November 2, 2008 at 10:52PM
v1rtu0s1ty(5a)

I'm going to take pics tomorrow. I saw a street about half a mile from our house full of maples with color yellow leaves. The one I saw today where at Route 47. I can't believe the weather tomorrow, 72F for November?!

Bookmark   November 2, 2008 at 11:19PM
jlaitar

Living in Chicago as well, you probably either saw a Norway Maple, or a Silver Maple. Both change leaves later than most other trees and both are in the process of changing now across Chicago.

Norway Maples are usually more round or oval shaped, unless they are very old (like 70 years) in which they can be much more broad at the top of their crown. Norway Maples also have much larger leaves in general.

Silver Maples are more upright in shape and can have a V shape. Silver maples grow much faster and can get taller, especially a tree in the 20 to 50 year old range. Silver maples also have deeply forked leaves.

Norway Maple

Silver Maple

I hope this helps you out

Jeff

Bookmark   November 3, 2008 at 2:17PM
pineresin

First three pics are Norway Maple, second three are Silver Maple

Resin

Bookmark   November 3, 2008 at 3:49PM
jlaitar

Isn't that how they are labeled Resin?

Bookmark   November 3, 2008 at 5:53PM
pineresin

Ooops! I didn't see they were from a different poster, thought they were the trees the original poster was asking about! Sorry!

Resin

Bookmark   November 3, 2008 at 8:31PM
v1rtu0s1ty(5a)

yes jlaitar, those are the same color of trees I have seen. So they are Norway maple! It's really gorgeous! Is there any maple tree like that but not round and changes yellow in fall?

Bookmark   November 4, 2008 at 10:54PM
rcnaylor(z7 Tex)

Hey, I never make mistakes posting Resin.

Welcome to the club. ;)

Thanks for the knowledge you add to this forum.

Bookmark   November 5, 2008 at 7:12AM
lou_midlothian_tx(z8 DFW, Tx)

Shantung maple can have brillant yellow fall color without the invasive of Norway Maple. It is more of upright up and looks kinda similar to Norway.

I'm providing a link to Metro Maples website and scroll down to see a picture of fall yellow which is more typical in seedlings.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shantung maple

Bookmark   November 5, 2008 at 9:10AM
dr_andre_phufufnik(Blsk, Voynovia)

There are several forms of Norway maple, including a few fastigate varieties.

Bookmark   November 6, 2008 at 10:53PM
jlaitar

Pretty much around Chicago the two most common maples that turn yellow in the fall are the Norway and Silver Maples. Norway Maples have better color, since Silver Maples can be hit of miss. Silver Maples do grow much faster than a Norway, however their wood is weaker because of this. Norway Maples, similar to Red and Sugar Maples have a rounded crown, especially when young. However around North Central College in Naperville there are are some very old Norway maples that are more upright, and have a broad crown at the top, similar to an oak. They are in the 60-70 foot range. And considering they are infront of houses that are 80-100 years old, that is probably how old they are too.

Also Norway Maples can be invasive if in the wild. I wouldn't worry about that too much if you have one infront of your house. I have a Norway Maple in front of my house and every spring I have a couple baby trees growing in my yard or flower garden and I just pull them out. It's been a good tree for me.

Jeff

Bookmark   November 7, 2008 at 2:25PM
More Discussions
Trunk Rot. Should I shovel prune or can this little JM recover?
shovel prune or is this something it can recover from?...
kjmm1
Destructive trimming of trees. HELP!!!!
Our neighborhood association board has been going crazy...
beachem
Number 4 thread of Most successful try @ LIve oak in Pa
Okay, this is the newest thread about the Live Oak...
poaky1
Do the flowering pears display their show before spring?
When exactly do the callery's flower? Right now in...
tlbean2004
Is this diseased?
This is a new young tree I purchased from Ebay. I planted...
rubyhum
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™