Swedish Aspen cultivar (other than 'Erecta')?

travelergt4(z7 GA)December 17, 2013

Hi, I'm looking for a gift for my father, who recently visited Europe and loved the Swedish Aspens there, but does not like columnar varieties of any trees (he prefers natural and wilder forms). He would like me to source him some Swedish Aspens that are not of the variety 'Erecta', but unfortunately, that is all I can find in US Nurseries. Does anyone know of another cultivar i could look for, and/or a nursery that would carry such a tree?

Thanks in advance!
Erik

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Possibly you can find somebody offering 'Pendula' somewhere, it was sold on this continent many years ago.

European aspen suckers from the roots, too, so planting it does not avoid the suckering of quaking aspen - if that was part of the thinking. But maybe the European aspen is more likely to grow in Georgia. Otherwise, of course, quaking aspen is prevalent on the US market and multiple cultivars have been offered.

Bookmark   December 17, 2013 at 3:34AM
salicaceae(z8b FL)

I'd go with quaking aspen or bigtooth aspen. Both are similar to tremula. The straight species tremula is only found in a few experimental forestry plots - mostly in Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan. 'Prairie Gold' is a nice cultivar of tremuloides selected from lowland Nebraska and is very adaptable in the east, supposedly doing well even in Georgia.

Bookmark   December 17, 2013 at 8:45AM
lkz5ia

one linked below

Here is a link that might be useful: swedish aspen

Bookmark   December 18, 2013 at 12:07AM
More Discussions
2015 Midatlantic/SE/New England winter damage thread
I don't mean to exclude the midwest but I think for...
davidrt28 (zone 7)
Is this diseased?
This is a new young tree I purchased from Ebay. I planted...
rubyhum
Pruning yaupon holly as tree
The builder put in 15 gal (I think) yaupon holly shrubs...
Meghan Mccarthy
Cherry Tree Looks Ready to Split
We have a cheery tree in our front yard with a split...
donfalco2
How far should Sassafras and Blue Spruce be from the road?
I have a tentative plan I started on in Spring for...
edlincoln
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™