Hens and sedum

LittleLithop(4a)June 24, 2013

I had little success, unfortunatly, with my first year of winter sowing probably due to bad soil and a bad spring but I still have faith! I did have some Shasta daisy, lupines, dianthus, aster, one sweet pea and one sunflower sprout. Oh well, I still plan on trying again next year. I did have great success with some sempervivum and sedum mixes. The only problem I encountered was watering them without washing them away, haha. They were finally large enough to handle and transplant this weekend so I made a mini rock garden. I had more then enough to add to my other rock garden. It's probably a bit over planted even though you can barely see some of them.
Rhetorical question; Do they start as chicks and become hens when they have chicks of their own or do chicks only come from hens? Which come first the chick or the hen? Lol

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ladyrose65

Wow! You started Hens n' Chic's from seed, really Kool!

Bookmark   July 4, 2013 at 2:07AM
LittleLithop(4a)

Update: One year later. Everything made it through the tough winter we had fabulously! I winter sowed a bunch of stuff this year and had way better success with pro mix soil. These are the babies that got me hooked though. :)

Bookmark   May 29, 2014 at 10:08AM
mnwsgal 4 MN(4)

Glad you had more success with ws this year. Your mini rock garden is showing good growth.

For those tiny seeds and fine seedlings I mist with either a hand held mister bottle or use my watering wand which has a mist setting. Also can use bottom watering by setting the container in a small amount of water that will be drawn into the soil from bottom up thus not disturbing seedlings.

I have my best results using Pro Mix as well.

Bookmark   June 3, 2014 at 1:56AM
vera_eastern_wa(5a-5b)

Looks awesome :)

That one sedum you have there I tried to get rid of for years at the old gardens....Sedum album. Man that one would take over the earth if given the chance LOL! Now at the new place, the previous tenant planted the same in the original bed so I've been ripping and tossing away all over a gain HA! Every tiny leaflet that falls to the ground becomes a whole new plant pretty rapidly.

On a good note, she also had several other sedum that I also used to have and adore plus loads of H-n-C's. I've been moving some of each to a retaining wall filling in the cracks....gonna look so groovy when it fills in :)

Vera

Bookmark   June 3, 2014 at 10:36AM
More Discussions
to late
Is it to late in zone 6 to winter sow?? I went crazy...
sorie6
Can I really, really wintersow tomatoes?
I wintersowed in my old garden for several years and...
nonconformist_nymphette
Has Anyone Wintersowed Burnet?
Love the tall, wispy flowers like Tall Verbena and...
lizbest1
Brrrrr! Pretty cold out there, too cold?
I just started winter sowing and have my first containers...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
I may have overdone things a bit...
So... I split out my 1 gallon pot of Di Ciccio broccoli...
pugetsoundgardener
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™