Winter Sowing

suneagleJune 11, 2014

Concerning the proper type of container for sowing seeds. Try this. Fill a 4" plastic pot with soil 1/2" from the top. Cut the bottom out of an empty 2 liter soda bottle. (This should be done no higher then 1" from the bottom, any higher and the bottle will be too large for the pot.) Seed, water, place the bottle on the pot (small pieces of tape will hold it snug). If your "greenhouse" gets too warm or wet, remove the cap, otherwise it won't need any attention until planting in the garden.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
butchfomby

SOW DIRECT IN GROUND AFTER FIRST COUPLE OF FREEZES...COVER WITH ABOUT TWO INCHES OF MULCH, LEAVES ETC...SOW WHERE YOU WANT TO GROW IT, NO TRANSPLANTING...I AM IN EAST OKLAHOMA....THE INDIAN

Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 9:00AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
caryltoo Z7/SE PA

How about you just cut that 2L bottle in half, put 3-4 inches of dirt in the bottom half, sow, water and push the top half over the bottom half. No tape needed. I've done this for years. And take the cap off from the very start -- you want water and snow to get in. Don't forget drainage slits, too.

And WS is much easier than direct sowing, Butch, not to mention fun and organized. And animals don't eat the seeds, or a heavy rain doesn't wash them away.

Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 11:07AM
More Discussions
The thrill of the sprout
Just checked my containers and have two types of lettuce...
caryltoo Z7/SE PA
NJ annua flowerl seeds
Good morning! Can I put out my seeds now? They are...
Karen Ulisse
ws foxglove in 2liter
I'm a newbie and have been ws in 2liter bottles. For...
gardentherapy.
has anyone ws aubrieta?
Is it too late to ws aubrieta. I am in zone 5- Iowa....
maryjozone5
Im so excited, I have sprouts!!!
This is my first time winter sowing. My mom thought...
smokey28777
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™