Do you know this tree seedling?

hoovb zone 9 sunset 23December 17, 2013

I tried the always reliable Name That Plant forum, but no ideas!

These come up every so often in the garden. I think it's a tree; the stem is already woody at 6" tall. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

Are the leaves opposite or alternate? Have you looked around for a possible parent...maybe in a neighbor's yard?

Bookmark   December 17, 2013 at 9:25PM
cousinfloyd

I'm pretty sure it's not any kind of mulberry that grows near me, but it does remind me of a mulberry all the same. The dense leaf arrangement looks more like an herbaceous weed.

Bookmark   December 17, 2013 at 9:50PM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

They are alternate.

Bingo, CousinFloyd, we have a winner. It's a Paper Mulberry, Broussonetia papyrifera.

There's one two houses down and across the road.

Thank you Brandon and CousinFloyd!

The usual weed tree seedlings here are Eucalyptus, Camphor, Schinus molle, Jacaranda, Alianthus. A new one to add to the list. Now, to yank it out.

Bookmark   December 18, 2013 at 1:12AM
krnuttle

You have to respect the natural way of planting seeds. Feed the birds and squirrels some tasty berries, and then let them plant the tree somewhere encased in fertilizer

Bookmark   December 18, 2013 at 9:08AM
terrene(5b MA)

Knuttle, I like to collect Walnuts for the squirrels and they end up burying a lot of them and now I've got baby Walnuts sprouting up all over the yard, well mostly in the garden beds. I've transplanted a few to make a little grove area. I'm also finding baby Dogwoods and Elderberries from the berries of trees and shrubs I originally planted as seedlings, either spread around by the birds or sprouting right underneath.

I love it when nature does the propagation work for me. Fun! Well, except for the invasive plants, way too many of those...

Bookmark   December 18, 2013 at 5:43PM
huggorm

Same goes for beech trees over here, the closest grove is a mile or two away but I have lots of beech seedlings all over my land anyway. I think I have to thank the jays (Garrulus glandarius) for that but I don't know for sure.

Bookmark   December 19, 2013 at 11:01AM
More Discussions
2015 Midatlantic/SE/New England winter damage thread
I don't mean to exclude the midwest but I think for...
davidrt28 (zone 7)
Is this diseased?
This is a new young tree I purchased from Ebay. I planted...
rubyhum
Two trees start blooming in milder climate ...
I know the first is Hong Kong orchid. I forget the...
jujujojo_gw
Cherry Tree Looks Ready to Split
We have a cheery tree in our front yard with a split...
donfalco2
Maple, Beech, Oak - proximity to natural gas line?
I will be planting the following trees at these distances...
johniferous
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™