How to germinate Katsura?

seedmoneyDecember 12, 2013

Greetings,
I have collected some fresh Katsura (Cercidiphyllum japonicum) seeds from a 20 year-old tree planted as a memorial to a loved one. I have read on the Sheffield site that they germinate in 10 days at 70F. This has not been my experience. Help?
Thank you,
seedmoney

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lcadem

seed

I germinated them at 70F in common potting soil, in a pot that was covered in a bag to maintain humidity. I probably sowed 30 seeds in the same pot and only one germinated (I don't remember how long it took). After germination it is essential that you maintain even moisture. I did that by keeping the pot covered with a plastic bag.

They are not good seeds to germinate. But the plant is worth it.

Bookmark   December 12, 2013 at 7:43PM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

I've always gotten very good germination rates ( >90%? ). I do it pretty much the same way. For me, these are some of the easiest seeds to germinate I've seen.

Bookmark   December 12, 2013 at 8:12PM
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Need stratification.

Lots of info if do search with
"germination of katsura tree seed site:edu" - but no quotes

Here is a link that might be useful: germination of katsura tree seed site:edu

Bookmark   December 13, 2013 at 12:21AM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

"Need stratification."

Mine haven't! And, almost all sources say no pretreatment (which would include stratification) is needed. Stratification won't hurt, but I doubt it going to make a huge amount of difference. If the seeds aren't germinating, it sounds like there may be some problem somewhere (bad seeds, improper moisture, or something).

Bookmark   December 13, 2013 at 11:57AM
terrene(5b MA)

Apparently they sprout fine without stratification, but they seem to do okay with it also. I winter sowed 12 seeds in January that were collected at the Arnold Arboretum last fall. According to my records the first sprouted on April 5th. I got 2 seedlings last Spring, and they grew pretty quickly the first year - they are almost 2 feet tall. I'm not sure about this species hardiness but they're over-wintering in the garage with the rest of the babies and tender plants (Salvia B&B) anyway.

Here's a pic of the baby seedlings, May 11th -

Bookmark   December 18, 2013 at 1:02PM
mikebotann(8a SE of Seattle)

I collected a paper lunch sack full of Cercidiphyllum magnificum seeds. Then I made a couple of raised beds, and then sowed the seeds right away that Fall. Springtime came and the seed bed looked like I had sown grass. I eventually sold over a thousand of them. One order was for 600.
I haven't had to germinate any since because I get a few volunteers every year from the ones I have left.
Mike

Bookmark   December 18, 2013 at 4:38PM
More Discussions
Cherry Tree Looks Ready to Split
We have a cheery tree in our front yard with a split...
donfalco2
Tree Removal Plan
Hi, I have a 100ft Silver Maple in my front lawn. It...
ACharles
Two trees start blooming in milder climate ...
I know the first is Hong Kong orchid. I forget the...
jujujojo_gw
Indoor Dogwood Tree
Hi, I'm looking to grow a dogwood tree indoors in our...
timandpao
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™