Two winters needed

madabouteu(8A - central Alabama)July 25, 2014

Sometimes I get no germination after winter sowing wildflower seeds, and dump the soil from the container on an inactive compost pile. This can lead to surprises the next summer.... so far this year I have seen a clump of Monarda fistulosa spring up from that pile and now Brown-eyed Susan is in full bloom on that same pile. Another composite is in bud but not yet blooming - I wonder what I will be! It seems that some seeds need two winters, or that my stratification is inadequate that first winter.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
northerner_on(Z5A ONCanada)

I think this phenomenon is not uncommon. It happened to me growing Rosa rugosa from seed I collected (but I had saved the container) and today I identified something that did not come up from a 2012 re-seeder, Rudbeckia triloba. I guess the conditions must be just right for natives to germinate. Only Mother Nature knows.

Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 2:37AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pixie_lou

I had read somewhere about seeds somehow being genetically programmed so that they all won't germinate the first year. If I recall, some would take up to 7 years to germinate. The scientists thought it had to do with species survival. If there was a drought or flood or some other extreme weather event, and all the seedlings one year were wiped out, there would still be seeds available in nature to germinate the following year so that the species would continue to survive.

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 2:41AM
More Discussions
Anyone has started winter sowing in Toronto?
This is my second year doing winter sowing. I started...
chipeony
has anyone ws aubrieta?
Is it too late to ws aubrieta. I am in zone 5- Iowa....
maryjozone5
Green mildew on soil of WS containers?
Last year, I WSd in styrofoam cups that were placed...
gardengrlz
Sprouts already
What I am doing is a cross, I guess, between stratification...
madabouteu
ws foxglove in 2liter
I'm a newbie and have been ws in 2liter bottles. For...
gardentherapy.
Sponsored Products
Lebello | Spinball Stool
YLiving.com
Set of Two Pre-lit Estate Corner Christmas Swags Christmas Decor
$249.00 | FRONTGATE
Carpyen | Pedra LED Wall Sconce
$972.80 | YLighting
Mr. Steam Home Automation Steam System
Signature Hardware
Office Slope Chair in Red
$174.99 | Dot & Bo
Mini Square Chrome Two-Light Bath Fixture with Royal Cut Jet Black Crystal and O
$300.00 | Bellacor
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™