Need help my Petunias are going to seed.

strouper2July 26, 2007

I need a little help with plants 101. I have some Petunias on my neighbors side and they are starting to go to seed and I'm wondering once they go to seed are they doomed? I cut off all the new seedpods that I found but two of my plants just came right out of the ground and one of the plants with brown pods is starting to show dead leaves at the bottom. This was my 1st year growing this many of my own plants so last year I probably wouldn't of even noticed the pods and figured something else was wrong with the plants. It seems kind of early to start losing my Petunias is there anything that I can do or is this just Mother Nature; bloom, go to seed and then die?

Strouper

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vera_eastern_wa(5a-5b)

They continue to bloom but not as vigorous....it takes energy to make seed. Everyday I go by mine and pinch out all the fading blooms before they make pods :D

Vera

Bookmark   July 26, 2007 at 3:10PM
karyn1(7a)

I cut my petunias back to a few inches and they grow back beautifully. Actually I just did that this morning. I prune many of my plants, especially annuals, as they start getting leggy this time of year.
Karyn

Bookmark   July 26, 2007 at 9:05PM
vera_eastern_wa(5a-5b)

I never cut petunia's back. They don't get leggy because every time you pinch out the flowers (clear back to the stem...not just the petals) you are encouraging branching and more flowers.

Vera

Bookmark   July 27, 2007 at 1:13PM
tosser

I mowed a row of petunias down a couple of years ago (they looked like they'd pretty much had it) and they sprang back to life with gusto. Got all green and bushy and kept blooming through fall.

While we're on petunias, do the seeds need anything special? I collected an envelope full from my mom's petunias yesterday and just dumped them out on a paper towel.

Bookmark   July 28, 2007 at 11:46AM
pitimpinai(z6 Chicago)

I don't do anything to my Petunia seeds. I leave them alone until everything dries up then scrunch up the pods and that part..whatchamacallit..that part that holds the pod... so that I can separate the seeds from the pods, etc. Nothing to it. :-)

Bookmark   July 28, 2007 at 9:11PM
lblack61(z5 NY)

I usually trim my Petunias down just because I don't always feel like pinching them, particularly the way they grow in certain spots of my yard. They never seem to resent it.

I pinch the flowers on certain ones that I'm paying closer attention to and they just keep blooming. The ones I pinch are usually smaller plants than the others.
(This is just what I do, not for any special reason, not because I know some rule...I just do it. Neither activity seems to hurt the plants at all).

Linda

Bookmark   July 29, 2007 at 10:43AM
More Discussions
Can you re-use the potting soil from last year?
I have some milk jugs left from last year. Can I use...
jd101
Containers for winter sowing.
I have some clear plastic shoe boxes but they have...
hibiscusfan zone5-Northwest Ohio
Official Winter Sowing Count Zone Wars 2014-2015 #2:
Game of Zone 2014-2015 Link:This is the continuation...
ladyrose65
perennial WS
What is your favorite perennial to sow? I'm in zone...
sorie6
I may have overdone things a bit...
So... I split out my 1 gallon pot of Di Ciccio broccoli...
pugetsoundgardener
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™