Sapindus drummondii - Western Soapberry

hairmetal4ever(Z7 MD)December 20, 2013

Who has tried this tree in a humid-summer climate? I'd really like one of these. They should be zone-hardy here but I'm not sure about our more humid and wetter summers than its native range.

I assume Rule #1 would be good drainage.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

I have three very small ones here in Knoxville. They seem to do very well so far, even after someone (not me!) ran over them with a BushHog.

Bookmark   December 21, 2013 at 1:18AM
hairmetal4ever(Z7 MD)

That's good to hear. Your climate isn't all that different than mine. I probably have slightly hotter & more humid summers & somewhat more snow in winter, but similar temps.

Bookmark   December 21, 2013 at 10:21AM
arktrees(6b NW Arkansas)

Hair,
Probable not a big concern. There are two on the University of Arkansas campus that are 20-25' tall, with 6-8" caliper. They have been there for some time and have no issues. Another is at the local botanical garden. Probable 12' or so, and 3-4" caliper. Been there for 6-7 years, and no issues. Though rare, they are in fact native to my area, though I don't think I have seen them in the wild. But that would probable be due to the habitat being on top of dry bluffs where they are able to compete, and frankly places I'm not going to go very often.

So in short, they will most likely be fine for you as long as they have good drainage.

Arktrees

Bookmark   December 21, 2013 at 10:46AM
kenptn(z6b TN)

I've had a small one for years that I got as a tube from ForrestFarm. It grows very slowly and suffers from spring freeze damage almost every year, but I am in a frost pocket. The first (and only) tree I've seen was at MOBOT, and it looked like a pecan from a distance, only more elegant. BTW, Brandon's climate is better than mine LOL.

Bookmark   December 21, 2013 at 10:46AM
More Discussions
Tree Planted Too Deep - Too Late To Raise
Hi all, I've been searching for some guidance on this...
damonb10
Growing Hickory and Hican for Nut Production (3)
Continuing from part 1 and 2 (maximum posts reached) Good...
gardener365
Beautiful Trees In Bloom Around My Neighborhood.
Here is the Yoshino Cherry Tree(i think) next door....
tlbean2004
Getting below freezing temps tonight, will it hurt my peach tree in bl
I'm in Dalles GA. temps will drop into the high 20's...
abykatz22
Maple woes
I had a Trident maple planted (poorly) in my yard at...
cajunladyintx
Sponsored Products
Automatic Magic Dishwasher Gel - Set of Two
$9.99 | zulily
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™