critters eating acorns and buckeyes...that have already grown

hairmetal4ever(Z7 MD)December 22, 2013

I'm starting some buckeyes and oaks from seeds. Without going into a long story...will critters try to eat the seeds AFTER they've grown into a seedling? In other words should I cage the little trees until they've used up all of the nut and it has fallen off?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
krnuttle

Something will be eating them until they are 10' high. If the squirrel, and other small animals don't get them the deer will.

We have our small trees in pots on our front porch, hopefully nothing will bother them.

Bookmark   December 23, 2013 at 9:21AM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

they will dig them out.. just to piss you off.. regardless if they actually end up eating them .. lol ... they apparently want to know what is in the bottom of the pot ... and if nothing.. will feel free to put something in it ... lol ...

ken

Bookmark   December 23, 2013 at 9:26AM
hairmetal4ever(Z7 MD)

So in other words, I should make a cage with a roof on it so squirrels can't climb over and get in?

Bookmark   December 23, 2013 at 9:59AM
corkball(4)

I HAVE had the buggers go after sprouted seeds, but rabbits eating buds and voles stripping the trunk are far more common.
Depending on your bugger levels, I would cage the whole sprout with chicken wire until it is about 2', and then replace with tree trunk guards until the trunk is gnarly enough to not be vole bait. I think someone said 10' which seems about right.

Bookmark   December 23, 2013 at 11:59AM
lucky_p

I've had squirrels dig up second-year bur oak seedlings to get at the remains of the acorn. Friend who once worked in the Mo Dept of Conservation tree nursery said the deer would come in and decimate seedling beds to get at the remains of the acorn on 1-yr stock.

Bookmark   December 23, 2013 at 2:37PM
hairmetal4ever(Z7 MD)

Wow. Determined little b@stards!

Bookmark   December 23, 2013 at 3:55PM
calliope(6)

When I start buckeye or oak in the g'houses, the chipmunks do just as Lucky says, they will rip the nut off the plant to eat the remains and leave the roots and stem laying on the top of the pot, or scattered on the g'house benches. The nuts stay attached for quite awhile, and they slowly dessicate and shrivel, so it sort of depends on the maturity of the seedling, how much damage it does. Sometimes very little, often kills it.

Bookmark   December 23, 2013 at 9:52PM
More Discussions
2015 Midatlantic/SE/New England winter damage thread
I don't mean to exclude the midwest but I think for...
davidrt28 (zone 7)
How far should Sassafras and Blue Spruce be from the road?
I have a tentative plan I started on in Spring for...
edlincoln
beating trees with a bat
it is said.. it will stimulate a struggling tree to...
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
Do the flowering pears display their show before spring?
When exactly do the callery's flower? Right now in...
tlbean2004
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™